Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Track Car Overheating, small block Ford
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 12:47 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Update to cooling issue!

Update:

I received a call last night from the owner, George, about the status of the track car we have been discussing. George is at Willowsprings Calif. for a meet this weekend with expected ambient temperature highs of 60 degrees. This should give us a final test. This is what we know to date.

The car has been on the dyno twice since my last entry. The radiator cap in the past had been replaced with a 16# but now is a 24#, thank you 4-Jaw. Also, the engine builder put a hose from the top of the thermostat gooseneck back into the engine and sorry, I do not know exactly where. It is supposed to reduce or eliminate cavitations. Also, for information, the 302 is putting 360 hp to the rear wheels.

The first dyno run improved the situation by allowing the engine to run at higher rpms (before remember it topped out at 4500 rpms) and ran longer but eventually started the same problem.

George was told Felpro had re-engineered the Ford head gasket to address passenger side coolant flow problems. So, a new head gasket was installed, right side only, and the car ran ok (6500 rpm range) on the dyno. So now at Willowsprings, we shall see.

I asked specifically to find out, part number, about this “new” head gasket design Felpro has engineered. George was told that there was no new part number. This is because Felpro’s “new” design will be part of all new stock thereby we will all get the new design after the old stuff is sold off the shelves.

What do you think? Thx, r