Which traction device for multi-use - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which traction device for multi-use

Ok, workin on my Torino's rear end and wondering what kind of traction device to use

Car will be multi-purpose, short highway trips, mostly street driven, some road course, and some 1/4 mile track time.

I'd like to have something that is liveable on the street as that's where the car will be more than any other specific task.

Was looking at a normal Detroit Locker, as well as an EZ locker, and Detroit Truetrac, as well as a Trac-lock from 9+

not sure which would be best for my car, a full locker or a limited slip

so i need some input

thx in advance
Dubz

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2004, 07:48 PM

Lockers are noisey but very good. Limited slips are quiet, but the clutches wear. I'd go with the limited slip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 01:26 PM

torino

You just can't have it all. Each activity you want carries a differnt suspesion.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

The True-Trac will be the best for everything but the 1/4. In the 1/4 it will be better than an open diff but not as good as a full locker or heavy preload clutch pack limited slip. I think I would go with the True-Trac.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If you want to spend and have it "ALL" go with one of the several limited slips with electric locking capabilities.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
If you want to spend and have it "ALL" go with one of the several limited slips with electric locking capabilities.
If you have the cash for it, got with a slip with locking capabilities like M&M said. BUT if not, I'd go for a Limited slip since you'll be doing street, and you don't want your tires chirping all the time at corners and wearing unevenly. Another option depending on price again is going for a remote locking diff. Some work with air pressure to lock when needed, others are cable actuated, others electric etc. this would enable you to have pen diff on the road which is fine if you're not doing donoughts (and even then you can always lock it for the moment... and lock it when at the track for the race. I think he best compromise (price vs need) of all is the last one, you use it when you need it only.

My Bits.
yan

Based on Homer's Philosophical writings.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

I struggled, researched, and struggled to make a decision. I went with an Eaton Limited Slip and have been very satisfied. The modern factory (Eaton) G80 type differentials have a centifugal mechanism that unlocks the differentials beyond a given wheel speed. Not a good thing if you are interested in high performance where traction through the power band is a consideration.

The clutch type limited slips (Eaton, Auburn, etc.) lock tighter as the wheel speed increases. Unless you hard throttle alot around corners (which is hard on clutch type posi-tracs/limited slips) you should have excellent life out of the Eaton or Auburn types. Hard throttle, in a straight line, provides immediate lock-up (no slip or clutch wear).

Of course the mechanical lockup/ratcheting differentials are a consideration. But make a "ratcheting" noise going around corners.

Spools (where the axles are locked continuously) are an option for drag racing or off-road applications only.

I am fully satisfied with my Eaton clutch type posi/limited slip and would highly recommend to anyone running a street/street rod/street-drag setup.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
He didn't say but I am guessing that he has a Ford 9". Because it hasn't been used for MANY years not as much of the cool new stuff is made for them.

For example:
The Auburn Gear ECTED can only be had for Ford 8.8" and GM 8.5" axles at the moment.

The Eaton Electric Locker is only available for the GM 9.5" (factory on the H2), 8.5" and Ford 8.8" axles.

The Detroit Electrac only comes in some Dana applications. They don't plan on making one for the GM 8.5" or the ford 8.8" because they are just too weak from the factory and they would have too many of them come back in pieces. The actuator is externally mounted on the diff cover so that rules out the 9" unless they design a new actuator that is internal.

I don't think an ARB air locker has much place in a hot rod but that is just my opinion. I think They do make them for Ford 9" axles (even in 35-spline) but by the time you add in the cost of an air compressor the price is higher than just about any other option.

Bottom line is using a limited slip, ARB, or swapping in a new rear end. Of those choices I would pick the TrueTrac (or the Torsen copy).

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.