Tractor fluid instead of regular tranny fluid! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Allison trans and newer GM trans use DEX VI, not DEX III. Hy-Tran is DEX III fluid. DO NOT put this in a DEX VI application. Roasted trans is the result.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Going back, and reading Studebaker's original post ... I'm going to stand by my recommendation to just buy DEXRON III in whatever quantities it takes to satisfy your cost concerns.

Valvoline #349 -- 5 US gallon -- $66.39 at Napa Online

It doesn't sound to me like he intends to change the contents of his TH350 (what -- 12 quarts, TOPS?) after every 1/4 mile pass. So even if he saves $5.00 per quart ... we're talking $60.00 (yeah 60 bux!)

The *perceived* savings of "tractor fluid" (which is suggested to be compatible with Type A and F???) versus using the intended and approved fluid? That just isn't a justifiable risk in my mind!

As to the "it's good enough for my million dollar combine" argument ...

NASA uses rocket fuel in their 1.7-BILLION dollar space shuttle, but you won't see me trying to power my old truck with it.

Last edited by 66GMC; 04-15-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added link to Napa Online
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
NASA uses rocket fuel in their 1.7-BILLION dollar space shuttle, but you won't see me trying to power my old truck with it.
LOL You sure won't- the fuel part of the solid fuel rocket booster of the shuttle is powdered aluminum- like what goes into a cherry bomb! Matter of fact, if you mix the NASA oxidiser- ammonium perchlorate 70/30 w/powdered Al, you get exactly that- a cherry bomb. Except the usual oxidiser is potassium perchlorate.

But I totally get your point.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Going back, and reading Studebaker's original post ... I'm going to stand by my recommendation to just buy DEXRON III in whatever quantities it takes to satisfy your cost concerns.

Valvoline #349 -- 5 US gallon -- $66.39 at Napa Online

It doesn't sound to me like he intends to change the contents of his TH350 (what -- 12 quarts, TOPS?) after every 1/4 mile pass. So even if he saves $5.00 per quart ... we're talking $60.00 (yeah 60 bux!)

The *perceived* savings of "tractor fluid" (which is suggested to be compatible with Type A and F???) versus using the intended and approved fluid? That just isn't a justifiable risk in my mind!

As to the "it's good enough for my million dollar combine" argument ...

First a bit of background,
I make a living building automatic transmissions for racing and extreme applications. 90% of what I build is for 500+ HP/TQ applications.
I have also progressed into some design work with the hydraulics of specific transmissions.
So suffice it to say, I have a better than average understanding of an auto trans.
I RECOMMEND the tractor/transmission fluid on extreme applications.
Not due to a "perceived cost savings" on fluid but a cost savings on how often we have to freshen up the clutches on a 1000 HP application.

We have used it in multiple difference applications from daily drivers to 1000+ HP drag racing combos that may sit on the brake for 3-4 seconds generating fluid temps in the torque converter of over 400 degrees.

Our experience indicates that it works, and works very well. It has resulted in lower operating temps in SOME cases. In all cases we seem to have less clutch deterioration in demanding applications. Less frequent freshening and when we do tear them down, the clutches look better.

I contribute this to the fluid being a higher quality, higher temp resistance, and less friction modifiers.

We're not talking about rocket fuel in a internal combustion engine, we're talking about two fluids that cross-reference and are compatible and similar.
The discussion is obviously above the technical understanding of some involved.

How many automatic transmissions have the various posters on this forum rebuilt?
I can vouch for myself and Crosley, since we both do it for a living.
The Following User Says Thank You to jakeshoe For This Useful Post:
revscott (10-07-2012)
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

kinda' further counter point:

what tractor tranny fluid doesn't have is the "exceeds JASO-1A" test cerificate labeling which most ATF's now carry...
(jaso is the japanese SAE society)
JASO-1A is a current auto tranny "clutch" performance test standard...

the letters "GL" in the exceeds ASI GL-4 tests stands for "gear lube" tests on the tractor fluid jug label....
(agree with jake tractor tranny fluid has excellent max temp oil film failure properties)

LOL,,,find me a tractor tranny oil with both the JASO-1A and GL-4 approved (and a recommended change interval) on the jug label and I will buy it in a heartbeat...

for extreme applications the tractor tranny better gear lube (no metal to metal) properties are the priority...
it's just not the whole story so far as total tranny fluid performance is concerned on a street car....

PS:
a possible reason that mobilfluid 424 sheet says commercial use only is it has zinc diorthophosphate in it...

and the basic reason tranny fluid is red is to identify it as tranny fluid...
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM

tractor fluid

Here is an update on using the tractor fluid in a T350 after 2 1/2 years. I have about 12,000 miles on the transmission. Transmission (turbo 350) still works fine. I have not had any reliability issues. The trans did develop slow drip at the shifter shaft seal at 3,200 miles. I replaced the seal which cured the leak, so I don't think it was related to the fluid. Transmission still shifts fine and has no slipping or any other problems.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I used John Deere hydraulic fluid in a 2005 Jeep Grand cherokee power steering system. At 72,000 miles the pump went south and the fluid was black nd thin. I flushed it with the JD fluid and then filled it.
That was 2 years ago. Like what jakeshoe said, if its good enough for a half million dollar piece of equiptment......
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 AM

bit the bullet.

I recently decided to (bite the bullet) and started using the tractor trans fluid in all my tractors and other vehuicles , chevy, Ford, massey fergusen etc, equipment, (17 vehicle) . None have developed any transmission issues, I had a mountain drive with my 1947 willy's jeep (cj2a) that I would like you to know about. I was on an outing (hunting trip) an proceeded up a approximeately 9 mile grade in the cascade mountains here in north central Washingtion. This was tight steep dirt road with many switchbacks, the tranny was always under constant heavy load. My little jeep was converted by me using a straight front axle, 53 chevy truck spindles, the rear is a 8" ford 28 spline open narrowed to fit in the jeep, 3.25 gears. none posi. Engine is a stock SJ 327 chevy, 2 bbl. with a homebuilt turbo 350 trans. I have been using tractor fluid in the trans since it was rebuilt. As previously stated, On one outing, I encountered a long steep 9 mile climb in the wildernes, the trans was under constant load and got so hot that it started melting the plastic wiring looms around and above it, it also melted the shifter cable. even-thought this transmission excedded the max temprature it should have ever deal with it, still operates fine. I beleive the tractor fluid is significantly better that the automotive auto tranny fluids availaible over the counter. (Just my $.23 cents worth adjusted for inflation).
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe View Post
Lots of misinformation.

Tractor hyd/trans fluid is equivalent to Dexron. It actually cross references to Dexron when used in tractor applications.

It isn't a legal ATF for highway use because it isn't dyed red.
So it can't be sold for highway use.

It has a higher temp rating than Dexron.

If it had a "sorely lacking" additive package, I'm sure it wouldn't be OEM spec for warranty in a half a million dollar machine such as a combine or other heavy equipment.

It works well from our experience. There are two different common viscosities and it's better to use the thinner of the two.
is the hyd fluid I'd find in my local parts store.. in a 5 gallon jug.. going to work like dexIII..
I'd think even tractors would have a hyd fluid for the hyd tools, and another type that you'd dump in the transmission/pto
or is it one and the same.. I'm asking because I don't know... but the hyd fluid I bought and put in the holding tank of my 560c case.. backhoe..
didn't flow like any transfluid I've ever used.. but again , not sure if the drivetrain was using the fuild in that holding tank... the backhoe arm seals leaked.. and when low.. it'd have gears.. but no arm movement..
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
is the hyd fluid I'd find in my local parts store.. in a 5 gallon jug.. going to work like dexIII..
I'd think even tractors would have a hyd fluid for the hyd tools, and another type that you'd dump in the transmission/pto
or is it one and the same.. I'm asking because I don't know... but the hyd fluid I bought and put in the holding tank of my 560c case.. backhoe..
didn't flow like any transfluid I've ever used.. but again , not sure if the drivetrain was using the fuild in that holding tank... the backhoe arm seals leaked.. and when low.. it'd have gears.. but no arm movement..

Just like Oil, there are differing qualities of Hydraulic Fluid-in your Case, I would recommend using Case I-H "HyTran"-the reason? Case bought I-H in 1985, and I-h was so concerned about Oil quality it bought it's own Oil Company, named Viscosity Oil:

Case-Akcela HyTran Ultra Tractor Fluid

Or, I would recommend "HyGard", which is made by John Deere-it is offered in "low viscosity" and "normal" viscosity-in an automatic, I would use low viscosity Hygard:

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...nHydraulic.htm

It is not a good idea to mix Hydraulic Oil, as the additive packages can work against each other-for instance, analine point is a method of estimating hydraulic seal compatibility, i.e. low analine causes the highest amount of swelling in a neoprene or BUNA-N Seal, and, both John Deere and Case I-H use differing amounts of compounds to achieve this spec, which, of course, can make a seal over swell or under swell (may either leak or tear the Seal)-

In any case, I would not mix fluids-

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.