Tractor fluid instead of regular tranny fluid! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tractor fluid instead of regular tranny fluid!

I recently researched using tractor transmission fluid in a turbo 350. I have some farm equipment and everything seems like it is very simular to regular automotive trans fluid other than it being clear it in color and a lot cheaper. I recently changed out the fluid in a turbo 350, it appears to work just fine in the transmission. I noticed the trans seems to be smoother shifting. Anyone else use this with good results? I used the Supertech brand, I buy it in 2 gal jugs. No problems yet. From what I have been reading it will work as long as it is rated for wet brake type machinery.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Studebaker For This Useful Post:
revscott (09-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM

Last photo:

Smoother shifting means it is slipping more when it shifts.
Time will tell.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:37 AM
More for Less Racer

A lot of guys do this in a racing transmission, it raises the stall of the torque converter a few hundred rpm but doesn't seem to hurt anything. They usually add a quart or two of regular trans fluid just to give it some color so you can tell engine leaks from trans leaks and see the fluid on the dipstick.

Last edited by ericnova72; 04-12-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

If this tractor fluid is used on a street application , where the problems may arise is the lack of the proper additives for the control of moisture and other contaminants that build up over time
Old 04-12-2010, 06:36 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

First time I heard of this was from guys who "raced" Demo Derby. Some of these cars are pretty trick.

But like has been pointed out already, the additive package is sorely lacking.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the reply, good information. I did not think of the moisture retention issue. Everything seems fine for now, I will keep monitoring it.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
A lot of guys do this in a racing transmission, it raises the stall of the torque converter a few hundred rpm but doesn't seem to hurt anything. They usually add a quart or two of regular trans fluid just to give it some color so you can tell engine leaks from trans leaks and see the fluid on the dipstick.
I really thought it was just the opposite, that it LOWERS the stall slightly. I've heard it being used to "tighten up" a "too loose" converter. Adding something to tractor fluid to make leaks easier to locate makes good sense. Butch/junior stocker.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker
I really thought it was just the opposite, that it LOWERS the stall slightly. I've heard it being used to "tighten up" a "too loose" converter. Adding something to tractor fluid to make leaks easier to locate makes good sense. Butch/junior stocker.
You may be right and I may have it crossed up, I have never done it and only heard about it. Just seems like a poor idea to me anyway.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Lots of misinformation.

Tractor hyd/trans fluid is equivalent to Dexron. It actually cross references to Dexron when used in tractor applications.

It isn't a legal ATF for highway use because it isn't dyed red.
So it can't be sold for highway use.

It has a higher temp rating than Dexron.

If it had a "sorely lacking" additive package, I'm sure it wouldn't be OEM spec for warranty in a half a million dollar machine such as a combine or other heavy equipment.

It works well from our experience. There are two different common viscosities and it's better to use the thinner of the two.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

good clarification Jake.

i was thinking of the tractor hydraulic fluid some race guys run , this would be the straight hydraulic oil
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I don't know. I think I'd be looking for PROOF that Hydra-Trans is DEXRON compatible.

Many things seem to "work just fine" when you first put them in.

For example, there's been more than a few farm boys around here that thought it would be a good idea to use ATF in their hydraulic jacks, too ... until they had seals go out on them.

I'd suggest that you buy your DEXRON in a 4L jug, or go to a petroleum bulk place with your own 5-gal pail or 50-gal drum ... but use DEXRON.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
I don't know. I think I'd be looking for PROOF that Hydra-Trans is DEXRON compatible.
Here's your proof:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...lfluid_424.asp

Notice the print:

Suitable for commercial transmission applications requiring Type A (Suffix A), Dexron and Type F fluids. Do not use in passenger car automatic transmissions

COMMERCIAL applications since it is not DOT approved due to lack of red dye.

Notice the list of other tractor fluids that also cross reference at the bottom of the page.

1 minute on Google and you have proof.

I've done considerable research into the various fluids. There is nothing wrong with Dexron and it is my usual recommended fluid. However using a higher quality fluid (tractor hyd trans fluid in this case) that cross references will not cause any harm and in many cases has been proven to work better (extreme racing conditions).

In many commerical vehicles only one fluid is used in all the various assemblies. Engines, trans, axles, hubs, etc.
When you've poured the vehicle manufacturers OEM spec'd 15W-40 engine oil into an automatic transmission as many times as I have you won't worry about using a fluid that actually cross references to Dexron in one.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I was referring to the hardware store variety hydraulic fluid. My apologies for mistaking that for the "tractor transmission fluid" the OP was talking about.

The following was also provided in the link above:

"Suitable for commercial transmission applications requiring Type A (Suffix A), Dexron and Type F fluids. Do not use in passenger car automatic transmissions

"May be used in applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs

"Outstanding replacement for engine oils recommended for hydraulic and transmission systems"

Sounds like some tough stuff. I wonder how the cost compares to ATF. Does it being thicker affect the operation of a car tranny negatively in any way?

EDIT- Checking a couple sites, About $3/qt. when buying 5 gall. buckets ($58/5 gall).

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-15-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Add cost.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

counter point:

as far back as 2001 heavy duty tranny manufacturers bulletins have said do not use generic tractor hyd tranny oil "meets" spec labeled oils (which the Walmart oil is)...

http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...%20Rev%20E.pdf

heavy duty trannys operate with ALOT more qts of fluid than a car tranny so total contamination and breakdown % will take much longer...
so you saved a few bucks up front with tractor tranny oil but now your required fluid change interval has shortened...
(lab testing is too expensive)
race cars change fluids based on just short hours of use intervals when using tractor oil...

hey,,,
if it is a buy food for the kids or buy needed tranny fluid empty wallet condition (or a junk yard tranny to get you by),,,tractor tranny oil does work

lack of color dye is not why it says don't use in cars...
compare the physical properties chart of the Mobil 424 tractor tranny oil with this Mobil synthetic ATF...

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...thetic_ATF.asp

just my $.02:
in the tranny is the one place synthetic oil operating properties are worth the extra bucks for long tranny life...
(especially in a hot rod build)

Last edited by red65mustang; 04-15-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

I've been a tractor mechanic for around 35 years now.. and in all of our overloaded service trucks we always used tractor fluids,, since we had a unlimited supply.. never had a problem.. and since we also pulled a trailer with a bobcat or welder ,,,box full of tools,, bunch of heavy parts .. we were WAY overloaded...BUT i cannot say that you using it in a car will be ok...I don't see that you can abuse your toy as much as we did on our service trucks though..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.