Hot Rod Forum banner

Traded The Turbo S-10 For New Ride

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  OLNOLAN 
#1 · (Edited)
For those who have been here a while you might be familiar with my old ride, a turbocharged S-10. I did it back before everyone was building turbo rides. Anyhow, traded it off for a new toy.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks, Eric. I like the car and I think I came out okay. The car has alot of sins from the previous half@%% restoration, but all in all it is workable and in time I will get it all fixed. I got a 200R4 for the car and it is geared high. So, it should be great on fuel with the little 283. A little turbo and 10psi boost would really wake up the car....it may get a period appearing turbo setup down the road. Right now I just have to get all the little stuff finished so I can cruise.

#6 ·
Nice ride S10, how anyone could say your S10 was "bellybutton" same is beyond me, that thing was evil. I remember when Chevelles were bellybutton same, how things change huh! Just a little boost? Ya right I'll believe that when I see it, I don't think you know how to turn the wastegate under 16 psi buddy!

Very sweet condition BTW. ;)

#9 ·
THAT is one sweet looking ride! One of my fave G.M. body styles. A turbo tucked away, leave the appearance mild looking, a sleeper of sorts. I think you did well. Dan

#10 ·
Hey all....it is all you guys I remember from when I was building the S-10. Thanks for the compliments...I will keep it a while unless some really cool trade comes along or somone just wanted more than I do from a cash in hand standpoint:) But, I really like the car, one of my favorite GM's as well. I did ask holdens permission and he and my other son really like the car because they can ride in it. Wife likes it for the same reason and she is not so afraid it will kill me when I drive it.

I will have to fight back the temptation to make this thing into a monster. I might freshen the little 283 with some better hard parts so we could get about 7K RPM out of it....then with boost....should be fun. I can not compromise on the point that I want 22-25mpg while doing this. I think 11 second 1/4's, cold a/c down the track on pump gas might be a fun goal. What do ya'll think?

#11 ·
I like that plan, sounds sweet to me :cool: . Even better would be a Overdrive manual transmission like a Tremec :thumbup:

I only meant "bellybutton" regarding S-10's is that every town has several hotrod S-trucks, that all look about the same more or less, just different colors or wheels, and you see a lot of them at the drags, from average to really fast ones :thumbup: ..Those might not be as nice as yours or as fast --but compared to--- how many '64 Chevelles do you see around?? :D

#12 ·
ericnova72 said:
I like that plan, sounds sweet to me :cool: . Even better would be a Overdrive manual transmission like a Tremec :thumbup:

I only meant "bellybutton" regarding S-10's is that every town has several hotrod S-trucks, that all look about the same more or less, just different colors or wheels, and you see a lot of them at the drags, from average to really fast ones :thumbup: ..Those might not be as nice as yours or as fast --but compared to--- how many '64 Chevelles do you see around?? :D
No offense taken at all. That was the problem I found when I got rid of the S-10. I put a ton of time and money into making it fast and nice and most of that was wasted because it was an S-10. If I had done to this car what I did to it, the thing would have been a $30K ride instead of half that or less. I actually ended up pulling some parts off the S-10 to sell for enough cash to finish this car. It is far from a show car, but cool to cruise in. It was missing alot of small things and has some rough spots....some really rough for my liking, but I will work through them in time. Main issue is poor rust repair...which sucks, but can be fixed.

The manual would be cool, but the 200R4 literally bolts in with nothing other than moving two bolts on the crossmember and installing the TV cable. Plus the 200 came with the car, so it is a no money in deal.

#13 ·
Really nice ride T-bo. Welcome back by the way. I know it`s somewhat of a relief to step back in something you can drive daily. I also remember how many times the S-10 broke your heart and believe me, many of us can surely relate as we`ve had our plates broke a time or two. Go with the build and a turbo, just remember, keep it on the low side to keep the enjoyment factor high. I dunno about you, but myself, I like it when I can mildly hot rod a street machine for plenty of low end torque for great drivability and never have to lay a wrench on it except every now and then, that`s where the true enjoyment comes in for a really nice street machine like you have. Race cars are the ones were supposed to constantly work on and cuss out on a regular basis lol. I can`t speak for anybody else either, but for me, constantly working on a daily driver takes the enjoyment out of it and that`s when we finally reach our limit and put a for sale sign on it, then after it`s gone we see the guy we sold it to and it never gives him any trouble whats so ever, that`s about how my luck goes anyways lol.

#14 ·
DoubleVision said:
Really nice ride T-bo. Welcome back by the way. I know it`s somewhat of a relief to step back in something you can drive daily. I also remember how many times the S-10 broke your heart and believe me, many of us can surely relate as we`ve had our plates broke a time or two. Go with the build and a turbo, just remember, keep it on the low side to keep the enjoyment factor high. I dunno about you, but myself, I like it when I can mildly hot rod a street machine for plenty of low end torque for great drivability and never have to lay a wrench on it except every now and then, that`s where the true enjoyment comes in for a really nice street machine like you have. Race cars are the ones were supposed to constantly work on and cuss out on a regular basis lol. I can`t speak for anybody else either, but for me, constantly working on a daily driver takes the enjoyment out of it and that`s when we finally reach our limit and put a for sale sign on it, then after it`s gone we see the guy we sold it to and it never gives him any trouble whats so ever, that`s about how my luck goes anyways lol.
You are spot on there. I agree 100% with all of it and it took 15 years of hotrodding stuff to the point it was unreliable to learn my lesson. Best thing for me was my milding modded cummins powered 87 chevy that I drive daily. It reminded me how much I like to drive my creations instead of just look at them and work on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.