Traditional Hot Rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Traditional Hot Rods

With all the talk and focus on the newest trend in Hot Rodding being traditional hot rods what is a traditional hot rod? I look to Gray Baskerville's definition of "hot rod". Paraphrased "A vehicle modified for better performance to suit the owner". And tradition: a convention established by constant practice. So why is it that only pre 48 cars and most notably 28-32 Fords are considered as the only traditional hot rods. Every car show I go to and magazine I read it seems that there is a set formula to follow. Detour from that formula and you are not a real hot rodder. With aftermarket frames and bodies most of these cars arent hot rods to me. They are coachbuilt recreations to resemble a car. Most are beutiful to look at but how many are actually driven like the cars they represent. The fore fathers of hot rodding built cheap throw away cars into race cars to be used to go faster than the next guy and break records. Now the same hot rodding principals are being used for getting show records and trophies.

So why is it that my S-10 that I want to build for landspeed, drag and open road racing not considered a real traditional hot rod? It is a cheap common truck just like 32 Fords were in the 50's. My 53 Ford gets more attention when somebody sees it in pictures on the net or visists my shop. But it has a small block and is pretty stock except for the front suspension and drivetrain. When I say that I'm building an S-10 for use at Maxton and Bonneville I get a blank stare. Which is followed by "sell that junky S-10 it is to modern". If isnt 50 years old it isnt a hot rod. If I'm wrong in this way of thought I want to know.

Sorry for the long rambling rant this has been on my mind for a while.

Lon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Traditional Hotrods

I tell ya what you hit the nail on the head buddy another thing that gets me is the people that think the pre war cars are worth 40,000.00 dollars and up and when you look at 75% of em their fiberglass and they judge it right beside a real steel car and 9 out of 10 times they will pick the plastic. Thats the saying anymore is buy a classic with plastic, myself I really like the idea of the rat rod. That to me is the old saturday night hotrods no shiny paint no $2,000.00 wheels billet everything just ole flat primer steel wheels white walls you get the picture but we can thank Barrett Jackson and Boyd Cuttington for all the pricing well Ive done enough crying for this reply Happy Hotrodding )By the way S-10 , CUDA, CORVETTES, WHATEVER if its what you want as your hotrod thats you choice and like you said define HOTROD!!!! BALDCHEV

Last edited by baldchev; 12-21-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Is your S-10 a hot rod, you betcha!
Is it a traditional hot rod? No.
It's a contemporary hot rod, just like '32s and '28s can be contemporary.
Traditional hot rodding is about the era, the style, the details and the flavour of an ear long gone by, primarly the 50's and 60's.

Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 11:57 PM
User

Last photo:

Whatever you modify, piece together, or build yourself, that you can enjoy driving in some way....is well...a hotrod.

To me though, a Rod is something that I can piece together, as cheap as possible, and still be fun to drive. Dosn't have to be too fast or "nice". I just like older cars, and I like driving them. I don't see the point in buying something new, for a inflated price, just for it to go from point A to point B. I enjoy "Hot Rodding" and if that means getting stranded, stuck, or having to fix or patch my car up, thats fine with me. Its hard to explain to some people, but its just what I like. Being a car person, I know how much work and money it is to put together a "dream car", I don't mind people that do this, and I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I don't have the money, time, or skills at this point to put one together. Most people don't understand this...but to be realistic, you have to think cheap, imperfect, and just however you can put it together, but not be afraid its going to fall apart.

Which, is why I like "Rats"...or atleast the mentality. Cheap, imperfect, and there is no real standard to building one, so you can't really mess up. And if you do, patch it up, and its still good.

Ahwell, a Hotrod is...just a Hotrod.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:15 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Is your S-10 a hot rod, you betcha!
Is it a traditional hot rod? No.
It's a contemporary hot rod, just like '32s and '28s can be contemporary.
Traditional hot rodding is about the era, the style, the details and the flavour of an ear long gone by, primarly the 50's and 60's.

Mike
Mike's right. An S-10 isn't a traditional hot rod any more than a '32 Ford Highboy Roadster is a Kustom or Lead Sled. A 4X4 with a 4 inch lift kit isn't a lowrider either - but so what? They're all still hot rods.

You can build anything using "traditional methods" i.e. junk yard parts modified to fit, but it won't make it a traditional hot rod - but again, so what?

You can go buy an aftermarket chassis, fiberglass body, wiring kit, crate engine/trans, aftermarket interior, then try to explain to everyone how yours isn't a "kit car." (I know that's going to hurt some feelings, but I mean no malice or insult.) That isn't really a traditional hot rod either - but so what?

Personally, I don't get hung up on labels. I'm still in the planning stages of my build, and I'm gathering parts and donors. I'm stripping an '83 Chevy C-30 1-Ton Diesel Dually, and stretching the frame 6". Then I'll be swapping a '55-F GMC 1-Ton Panel Van body onto that rolling chassis. Yes, I'll have a '55-F GMC 1-Ton Panel Van Dually with a turbocharged 6.2 L diesel and a 5 speed manual trans - nothing traditional or "hot rod-like" about it - but so what? It's a hot rod. I'm building it to be a powerful, strong, safe, and comfortable driver that will tow our boat or a flat bed trailer with my latest project on it. I should have everything gathered together and be ready to actually start work this summer - possibly this spring.

I guess my point is that lots of different classifications fall under the name "hot rod." Traditional rods, Kustoms and Lead Sleds, Lowriders, Resto-Rods, Rat Rods, 4X4's, Muscle Cars, race cars (dragsters and dry lakers) and a multitude of others all fall under the title. But at the end of the day, does it really matter if it's a traditional rod or not? Hardly. It's the fun of the design and build and the final result that count. Let the labelers tell me that my '55-F Panel project or my '82 El Camino daily driver isn't a hot rod - I really don't care because I'm not working on either of them to please anyone but myself. While they're busy trying to figure out what to call it, I'm driving or wrenching - and having the time of my life doing it.

Dusty
Old 12-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have a suggestion......STOP with the labels allready...............Just build a car/truck....................
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 AM
boatbob2

hot rods

Hi why do you worry about what other people think of your car? if YOU want to call it a hot rod,it is a hot rod. if you want to call it a coustom car,its a coustom car...to hell with what other people think...please yourself (and wife or girlfriend) and have fun with the car. thats what hot rodding is all about...im Boatbob2
Old 12-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I have a suggestion......STOP with the labels allready...............Just build a car/truck....................
Have to disagree here. (stands up on soap box)

Call me old fashioned but labels or generic definitions bring order to the universe. All this "Politically Correct" garbage makes me sick. Whatever happened to the good old days when the bad guys wore black and the good guys wore white and you knew where people stood on things. Now days you have to be careful about what you say because you might "offend" someone. Part of what's wrong with this world is the fact that everyone has to pretend to be someone or something they're not just to make other people feel better about themselves. What a crock!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

What I was getting at, was that everything is a "Rat Rod" these days, be it a 32 Ford or a Chevy s10....or a Monte Carlo......

And, what is this "Old Skool" crap?

Maybe, I am just getting to be too much like my dad
Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Have to disagree here. (stands up on soap box)

Call me old fashioned but labels or generic definitions bring order to the universe. All this "Politically Correct" garbage makes me sick. Whatever happened to the good old days when the bad guys wore black and the good guys wore white and you knew where people stood on things. Now days you have to be careful about what you say because you might "offend" someone. Part of what's wrong with this world is the fact that everyone has to pretend to be someone or something they're not just to make other people feel better about themselves. What a crock!
Its true, but thats what post-modernity is all about, and we're living the postmodern times. The modern and pre-modern school of thought have long passed by and now we have to be able to hold our values loosely with the interest of being sensitive to everyone else.

Mike
Old 12-22-2006, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Its true, but thats what post-modernity is all about, and we're living the postmodern times. The modern and pre-modern school of thought have long passed by and now we have to be able to hold our values loosely with the interest of being sensitive to everyone else.

Mike
........More labels????
Old 12-22-2006, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

I really dont care about labels and I build what I like. However I really got unnerved when I saw the reader's rides in the new Hot Rod. A flat black Mack semi with white walls. The small description on it kept labeling this semi truck as a rat rod. I actually cant stand anything to be labeled when it comes to modified cars. It seems to me that if you build something it has to fit into a catergory for the civilians (non-motorheads, yikes another label!) to understand it and buy more hot rod stuff. I think that those who subscribe to a set mindset on cars are elitists, if you dont build it the way they think you should you have no right to have a car. As far as my S-10 I cant think of any way to describe my methods and reasons for the build. It is a mouthful to say "I'm building an S-10 to road race, land speed race and sometimes drag race". It still looks like a used Chevy S-10 faded paint and blacked out Ralley wheels. It has no style it is an 80's boxy truck.

I knew this would stir the pot and like I said I dont go for labels. I just enjoy building my trucks. And I dont want to come across as a whiner. I just had to put my thoughts out on the public forum.

Lon
Old 12-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
What I was getting at, was that everything is a "Rat Rod" these days, be it a 32 Ford or a Chevy s10....or a Monte Carlo......

And, what is this "Old Skool" crap?

Maybe, I am just getting to be too much like my dad

This will be really scary........ Sounds like you're getting like me!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

It's like you said in your 1st post....Back in the 50s, deuce coupes were a dime a dozen, just as s10s are now.................They were not called rat rods then..............just hot rods.... Same with the s10..........its a hot rod.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Actually my dad (who is a motorcycle nut) and me had this conversation two days ago. Which is what spurred me to post this. I was posting on a couple other boards but if you mentioned S-10 or 84 GMC Sierra you weren't very welcome. I have one old truck, my 53 Ford and I just consider it an old truck that has new safety features (brakes and steering). I'm going to continue to build what I like, I dont care about what anybody thinks unless they like what I'm doing. My best friend and I are as different on cars as night and day. He is into the "day 2" musclecars. He spends hours looking for 1968 only speed parts for a car he will never drive. We disagree on somethings but agree that building cars is the greatest thing on earth.

And how is this for labels. My dad completed his first Iron Butt this past summer. 1,000 miles in under 24 hours on a Kawasaki Concours, Iron Butt is the only label that fits.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.