Trailer Tie Downs - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

those straps & ratchets i posted will work on the stake pockets, everyone has there own idea, so you gota deside what works 4 you.

Mustangsaly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2005, 10:47 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I use the ratchet straps with either hooks or Ts on the end depending on what I am securing. I prefer to use axle straps around either the front or rear axles and connect the hooked straps to them. I then secure the right side strap to the left side of the trailer in a pocket and do likewise for the other side so that the straps cross each other. I do this front and back if possible again depending on what is being towed.

I have a trailer very similar to yours. I recently added eight additional stake pockets to it and then strapped down the outside of the pockets with 3" x 3/16 flat bar so I have continous connection points. I also added two stake pockets to the front of the trailer and I find I use those most often.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:02 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I'm just curious to what would happen if that PU on the back of that rig pictured above(nice rig) if one of those tires were to loose pressure or catch a piece of shrapnel while going down the road???

Ive had the distinct pleasure of being on the other side of a wreck that literally blew the guard rail off and sent it at me no choice but to run it over(it was at night on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway)i was real lucky it wasn't air born!

I guess it will be personal preference i don't care for the vehicle's suspension moving along with the trailer plus I run 10ply tires on tow and trailer to reduce as much sway as possible.

i know "T" hooks that go into the frame are a pain in the arse to get in that oblong hole to start with,

if something was to fail i'll bet there is not going to be alot of travel before my chains grab hold plus i double tighten when i hook up and use ratchets to secondary the load i've had ratchets fail while loading never had a chain binder fail and iI use a big piece of pipe to tighten it . then i'll throw a couple of comealongs just to make my self feel good

I know if i flip the whole rig its going to stay together but i have to say i dont have alot of faith in the tag along hitch system i guess the best trailer hitch(on the trailer) would be the BULL DOG type .

These are MY opinions and preferences I have a different perspective than most having spent close to a decade and a half in auto salvage yards I've seen lots of vehicles that have been wrecked with one one in them ..meaning not properly secured down in a tow situation , so maybe thats why i dont take any chances.

TO EACH THEIR OWN

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 08-18-2005, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
I'm just curious to what would happen if that PU on the back of that rig pictured above(nice rig) if one of those tires were to loose pressure or catch a piece of shrapnel while going down the road???

TO EACH THEIR OWN

SR66
we have been in the transport business over a decade & Not One Transport Problem yet ! i try to check straps in 1st 50 to 100mi after loading and bout every 4hrs a walk around to check straps, loosing one is a worry. our truck turns about 15000mi a month. very few miles dead heading / empty.

i'm guessing your asking cause of the p/u being raised with big tires & 1/2 sitting on the trailer rear dove tail slant part we have transported new & old vehicles, Hot Rods some restored some not, some big 4 X 4 vehicles with Big Tires & with lift kits and body lifts, rock crawling Jeeps, some were slammed on the ground , with Wide Tires, T Buckets vipers & high top vans, old Austin Minis & new BMW Minis, salvage, Big Boats, car trailers, enclosed trailers pop up campers, dully P/Us F450s F550 & one F650, Chevy SSRs , Vetts, many vetts to rogers corvette center in Fl., one trip we moved 3 1967 Vetts with 427 4 speeds BMWs Mercedes & Jags with window stickers of 127k price, motorcycles, we do a lot of New dealer to dealer trades, we have moved a lot of pro football players, & other sports players vehicles too, there was 3 Broncos players vehicles we moved from TX to Denver & back 2 Xs a yr for about 4yrs in a row. you name it we have transported it, a lot of repeat customers and corporate moves, a lot of rental car company moves, internet / ebay sales. a lot from here,http://www.classicalgasstation.com/ B4 911 a lot of people flew and had there vehecle transported (Not as Much of that Now) if it pays, we move it , we have had the pleasure to move some neat stuff.

(we have had tires go flat & had a strap come loose b4 with no problems, butt if checked and watched just like a chain a strap can come loose, thats why we use 4 per vehicle)

well all 4 tries have wheel straps, and DOT only requires 2 wheel straps. we have put 300k + mi on this tractor and 500k mi on this 53' stepdeck trailer, (not counting our 2 other tractors & the other 2 51' wedge trailers b4 this one, at 1st on the wedge we used chains, but changed over to wheel straps) this set up, and with vehicles secured correctly is 100% Safe. if theres a doughs at all, i put a extra strap on frame to trailer or a good ole chain & boomer

Mustangsaly

Last edited by Mustangsaly; 08-18-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

so let see if i got this right the good ol DOT only requires 2(two) wheel straps and if someone was to "cheap out " or being "green" did the bare minimum and a tire went down there would only be 1 strap holding it on to the trailer ??

i never follow behind anything that might be hazardous but i'll bee looking @ dem straps a little harder when passing thats fershur

where in FLA do y'all deliver to??

SR66

Old 08-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

we have run all of FL. from the panhandle to Miami, and from left to right butt FL. is a state it is easy to get the money to go to. but hard to get enough money to get out of FL. we haven't been to FL. in a couple yrs. yup DOT will let a small or average size vehicle get buy with 2 wheel straps, i think on big vehicles like Dulles, big 4 X 4s & big vans ect. need 3 i think, look at the next 7 or 9 car stacker you see, most have one small chain hooked towards the front of the vehicle, and one small chain hooked towards the back of the vehicle.

i try never follow behind anything that might be hazardous either, i try to avoid car transporters, flat beds & log trucks ect. and i try not to follow any boats either (i've seen my share of boats loose tire wheel & hub from no maintenance & in & outa da water)

Mustangsaly
Old 08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

having witnessed a friends drag car come off the trailer i now have a link of chian with a large master lock. i use it as a safty measure. i tie them down good and then lock them to the trailer.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

shine

what are you useing the LOCK for ????

SR66

Old 08-20-2005, 11:46 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

after seeing my friends car tore up [ no insurance] i decided when i load one it'll stay on the trailer till i unlock it. just piece of mind. i pick up and deliver a lot of work .
Old 08-20-2005, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

are you useing a padlock to hold down the load?

SR66

Old 08-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

my 3rd trip out transporting vehicles, (Not my 1st time driving a truck, i pulled a refer OTR for 3yrs in the early to mid 80s ) i stopped at a truck stop in Norfolk Va. and moved the cars around, so they were in order of drop offs. then crawled in the bunk 4 a nights sleep, and when i woke up i went in the truck stop to shower & eat breakfast and b4 i pulled out, i did a walk around b4 heading out on the road, and noticed both my ramps were gone. (they snagged them while i was sleeping or when i was eating) so now my ramps are chained a locked with a padlock. luckily i was headed to Denver Co. with no drop off in between, so i called a local welding shop and had a set made, so when i came thur Nebraska i picked them up. butt someone stole them, i did not loose them cause the truck never moved after using them last.

Mustangsaly
Old 08-20-2005, 12:36 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

no, just as a safety. i winch the car onto the trailer with 2 chains with canvas straps on the rear axle. i have 2 small canvas strap ratchets on front . the chain and lock is almost 90 degrees so the car can only move a few inches either way. i once towed my wifes bracket car home from the races in park hooked only to the winch. thats about the time i started using the chain and lock.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:46 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

From Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...vehicle/cs.htm

Quote:
FMCSA's new cargo securement requirements are now in effect. The rules are based on model regulations developed in a cooperative program between the United States and Canada.
That has links such as http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul.../cs-policy.htm
"Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules" which gives working load limits for straps, chains, ropes and how many are required, etc. for vehicles under 10,000 lbs (4536 kg).
Old 08-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Use wheel tie-downs or chassis straps or chains with t-hooks, just make sure that they attach to the steel frame of the trailer and not to the wood deck. I have seen several people with tie down rings in the wood decks that have had some bad surprises when they pull out and the car/truck on the trailers comes over the tailgate of the tow vehicle. Their some great suggestions in this thread, just do what you feel secure with and make it safe.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

the reason I ask is that pad locks dont have as much strength as most would think it can become "the weak link in your chain" but is not a bad idea to keep someone from messing with you stuff
i would suggest the type that is hard to get a bolt cutter around a 4' bolt cutter will go right though most pad locks.

seeing that we are on the subject of straps and ratchets and such always use the ratchet type especially with motor bikes the type that don't ratchet can let go without any notice !!

i just wrote this in case someone wasn't familiar with this

SR66

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.