Trailer Towing w/ 2000 Ford Ranger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trailer Towing w/ 2000 Ford Ranger

I'm going to try to get my project Ranger pretty soon and I have a few questions about the tow home.My dad has a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with the 4.0L V6 and a 4-Speed Overdrive A4LD Transmission.If you know vehicles with towing packages,(some that don't have them),there is a little button on the shifter to toggle the overdrive on or off.It says in the book that the Ranger is safely capable of towing either 7,000 or 9,000 pounds..I can't remember which.So,I know that I will be under that weight limit.I would say with the 16 foot trailer and the Ranger on it,we'll probably be hauling along no more than 5,000 pounds.So,my question is..Do we need to drive with the overdrive on or off?I was thinking that there was the possibility of burning up the overdrive going uphill or something..Who knows.I'm not experienced with overdrive transmissions.The thing is,we'll be on the interstate at least 80% of the time.What do you guys think?

Jacob Middleton

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 07:39 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

All vehicles that I know of with overdrive Trannys hand book says do not use overdrive when towing. And you are pushing the limit of towing a Ranger on a trailer with a Ranger. Hope the trailer has good brakes on it.

Trees
Old 06-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

I didn't think so on the overdrive.It wouldn't make any sense if that wasn't the case and they put that switch on the shifter.No,the trailer that we're going to be pulling doesn't have any brakes.Dad says that he thinks that he can handle it.My cousin,who's the local landscaper,has a Ranger and he pulls his 16 foot gooseneck and hauls his Bobcat on it with no brakes and he has no trouble.That's all that I know.The best thing to do is to take it kinda slow when we're hauling it home,if I get it.It's still under a 100,000 mile warranty if anything goes wrong.They won't have to know the situation .

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-23-2003, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

towing

Try towing 7000 to 9000 lbs with this truck and you'll find yourself on the side of the road and tranny fluild spiting out from the vent from overheating. Your 5r55e or 4r55e was never meant to tow much more weight than the truck its self why ford would ever tell you different I dont understand.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

All I know is that it's in the book and if it screws,they're gonna fix it.That's all that I know.I'll make a copy of the page and let you guys see it.But anyway..I'm not wanting to start a conflict here,Not that we were .Anyhow..I guess we'll see what we can do.

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Hey guys..I've been doing some searching at Ford's website,mainly building an F-150 pickup.I used the 4.0L V6 and the A4LD transmission.It has the same tow parameters as the Ranger.It just may be a bit better at getting the load stopped.I'm not really worried about pulling the trailer with the Ranger..I just wanted to know if the Overdrive needed to be turned off or not.This transmission is one that Ford's been using for years and I've never heard any complaints on them as far as "holding-up".As far as the transmission overheating,there's an auxiliary radiator that came with the "Towing Package" for the transmission,which of course supplies it with coolant to keep it cool.So,it's worth a try.I mean,why put a hitch that connects with 6 bolts to the Ranger's frame when it can't tow a measly 5,000 pounds?I don't believe that these trucks are as "delicate" as everyone thinks they are,as these are even the same transmissions that Ford hooks up to the 4.6L V8's.I mean,if this transmission can hold up to continuous burnouts in a Mustang,it ought to tow a 5,000 pound trailer for 150-200 miles.If it doesn't work out,there's the warranty..That's what it's there for.This 4.0L V6 is a big engine.They should've put a V8 in these Ranger's and forgot about it.Know what I mean?I'm gonna try it anyway.Then,I'll just prove it to see if it will do the task or not.

It's kinda funny how far-fetched a topic can get that starts out asking if the Overdrive Switch needs to be turned on or off :laugh: .

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Oh yeah..One thing that might be a "Small" issue is the tounge weight.I guess that I'll have to get one of those "Super-Drop" receivers and turn it upside down.Then,the trailer will be basically level.Plus,the pickup will be centered over the trailers axles,of course,so there's not gonna be alot of tounge weight.Anyway,if that doesn't work..There's always air shocks .

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-24-2003, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

towing

Night talk to any tranny shop about a4ld in this case thats not yours , thats the old tranny now its a 4r55e and 5r55e and it's all electronic they are still based on the the same unit, I work on them all the time leaking from front seal and over heating and spitting oil out the vent from no lock up condition. Even the big e4od- 4r100 will over heat and burp fuild from the vent when overloaded these trans is 4 times as big as what you have. you can pull that weight for a short distance but over the long haul the temp will hit over 300 and then it comes out .
Old 06-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

That may be the case,but I still don't understand.Why in the hell would Ford say different in the truck's manual?Oh well..It's like I said..We'll never know until we try.

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Re: towing

Quote:
Originally posted by airworld2
Night talk to any tranny shop about a4ld in this case thats not yours , thats the old tranny now its a 4r55e and 5r55e and it's all electronic they are still based on the the same unit, I work on them all the time leaking from front seal and over heating and spitting oil out the vent from no lock up condition. Even the big e4od- 4r100 will over heat and burp fuild from the vent when overloaded these trans is 4 times as big as what you have. you can pull that weight for a short distance but over the long haul the temp will hit over 300 and then it comes out .
Okay...Let's say that this is the case...If you're working on these transmissions for the public,do you know the conditions that they were being put through at the time of the overheating?I mean,other than towing a load.Are you sure they turned the overdrive off?Are you sure that they weren't abusing the transmission as far as overrevving or any other strenuous situation?I mean..You'll never know the situation of what the person was doing to the transmission for it to overheat.Ford couldn't make a transmission so weak,print in their books that it can tow more than it's really capable,and get away with it.The public would get straight with them on that issue.In other words,there would more than likely be a major recall.This is a pickup that we're talking about..Not an econo car.Call me old fashioned and stubborn to think that this little truck could pull that much,but I've seen it done and have never seen any problems because I know that people that I've seen do the task baby the transmission for what it's worth,if you know what I mean.They pull the load and there's no problem.So you're saying that even the full size Ford pickups are not capable of towing what their quoted to?Again..The situation is unknown.And forget the A4LD..I was wrong.I thought that Ford was still using them.Even if it's not an A4LD,it should be capable of towing what it states.Anyway..Let's just drop the subject.I don't want to start a rant or anything.I'll just make the haul and see what comes out of it.

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Your 9000 pound rating is for the tow vehicle and the trailer, heck even a big cummins Dodge can only tow 11000 I believe?

This website says you can only tow 3560 pds on a 2002 Ranger with a 4.0, of course if you want to push it you can do anything you want...just don't expect the dealer to bail you out with a free repair.

A good rule is never tow anything more than 80% of the tow vehicles total weight.

As for the guy towing a Bobcat around with his Ranger...he's an idiot who doesn't make long trips so he rolls the dice...we see his kind all the time here at the hospital...we call them TSTL (Too Stupid Too Live). If he had an accident he would probably blame Ford for producing an inferior vehicle. Use your own head.

Be careful out there.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Now all that makes sense.I called my dad before he went to work and it says in the manual 9,000 pounds.So let's say the 2000 Ranger weighs 4,000-4,500 pounds,the trailer weighs 500-1,000 pounds,and the hauled Ranger weighs 2,500-3,000 pounds..We're looking right at the limit.So,that's not bad.So I can get away with it .

Thanks for the info 4-Jaw.That was a big help.

Jacob Middleton
Old 06-24-2003, 07:35 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Night.... One thing that seems to be missed here is the weight of the trailer being towed with "no brakes". I have never seen the scale ticket for a car trailer, but believe it to be considerably more than 500 lbs. Either way, the loaded trailer will be alot of weight for that Ranger to have to stop by itself. Although it may be able to tow 9000 lbs, will it be able to stop 9000 lbs?

I have read all of the posts on this subject. I personally don't care about the welfare of the person driving that vehicle. The ones that I am concerned with, are the people around it if there comes an emergency situation that requires a quick stop. In Virginia, any trailer that, when loaded exceeds 3500 lbs, is required to have brakes, including the break-away system. I can tell you without a doubt, that a 2000 Ford Ranger is no match for a 3000+ lb trailer that decides not to stop, or wants to go a different direction.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:31 PM

i wood not use a big trailer i wood use a tow dolley its much liter if you can get one
Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 PM

I don't know where you're getting that 9,000 lb capacity for the Ranger. A V-8 F 150 with E4OD trans with a class 3 hitch only has a capacity of 7,000 lbs. Hope you ain't pulling no hills or you'll be towing back both trucks.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.