tranny 350 or 400 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question tranny 350 or 400

Should I go with a 350 with a shift kit or a 400 for a 70 Chevelle 350 over .30 for street and occasional strip?I know a 400 is bigger but is bigger always better?Eventually (soon)I want to put a posi trac on this bad boy This is how I feel ,because I want to do it all at once instead of piece here then go back and piece here.Am I making sense

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A well built th-350 should be more than enough. It takes less HP to turn and can withstand a decent amount of power going through it.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Been discussed MANY times with as many opinions as posters! In general I like the 400 for a performance application 'cause it was designed by the factory to handle more torque. Negative is that it reportedly consumes a little more power to spin it but that argument doesn't impress me as being significant. If I has a super light 10second dragster, I would go with a totally trick Power-Glide. If I had a heavier race car I would go with a totally tricked out 350. But for a street/strip car that I wanted to abuse a little and didn't want to have to spend the national debt beefing up or didn't want to worry about working on a tranny all the time the 400 is my choice.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

I like the 400 because it doesn't use the stupid throttle cable like the 350 does. That throttle cable messes with my carb linkage!. Plus the 400 handles a lot more power in a stock configuation than a 350.

Use a shift kit, and adjust the shift points with a govern kit. The kick down is electronic on a 400 so you will need to fabricate a plate to hold the long throw switch.

The 350 trans feels wussy to me unless they are raced preped with a full manual valve body.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

tranny

I use the 350 with red friction plates, hardened front sprag, and a stage 2 B&M shift kit. You don't have to use the kick down cable.

I take the kick down cable off and snip it just where the cable part starts on the tranny end. Then fill the cable stub with rtv and put it back on the tranny.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 PM

Hey thanks a million guys for helping me with my 350 or 400 ?.Now there is a new on for you .I just caught an 85 Silverado C-10(short bed) 350 with 400 tranny.Any idea on the type of rear end?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy70
Should I go with a 350 with a shift kit or a 400 for a 70 Chevelle 350 over .30 for street and occasional strip?I know a 400 is bigger but is bigger always better?Eventually (soon)I want to put a posi trac on this bad boy This is how I feel ,because I want to do it all at once instead of piece here then go back and piece here.Am I making sense

Why use a 400 when a 350 will do the job just fine and as a bonus a 350 is slightly cheaper to build, lighter, robs less power, and has better gear ratio spacing.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Ford Mustang Forever

Stick with the 350 tranny on a small block. The 400 trany chews up 38 HP vs 28hp for the 350. You do the math. If I were you I would go with a gm 700 tranny any day of the week

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.