tranny behind a y-block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

Wiki Edits: 0

tranny behind a y-block

What manule transmissions came with a 292-312 y-block

Pat

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

little more info

The 4+2 tranny is in a 59' F600.
Pat
Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Passenger car or heavy truck?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:40 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

heavy truck

F600 grain truck
Pat
Old 03-29-2005, 02:41 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

Come on everybody Help me out here

Pat
Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 PM
aka Duke of URL

Is it actually two transmissions (one mounted behind the other) or a four speed main with a two-speed rear?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:18 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

Thanks kultluz you have helped me out a lot, now would that tranny be good for a hotrod that will be drive on the street and the strip??

Thanks again
Pat
Old 03-29-2005, 03:50 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercflathead

Thanks kultluz you have helped me out a lot, now would that tranny be good for a hotrod that will be drive on the street and the strip??

Thanks again
Pat
OH NO! That would be a HD TRANS likely with a sliding first gear. That is for HEAVY TRUCK only.

You would want to look at an older 3/S or TOPLOADER 4/S. You can even adapt a T-5 now.

You want manual or automatic?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

manule

4 speed manule tranny
Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

tranny ford yblock

by using the 4speed bell housing and re drilling some holes and tapping them plus making a ring for the mustang 5speed front nose so it was same size as the yblock housing. then made a bushing for throw out plus had the flywheel drilled for the mustang pressure plate . so used the mustang clutch *** and 5 speed. i had a machine shop do the flywheel . it worked great in my 56 ford 1/ton. sold it to a fellow but have talked to him and it is great. the y block was a 292 with 57 heads and cam and bored to .20 over 312 and used the 312pistons ran and still does very strong and used 57 style int 4v holley. keep the old y blocks they a tough and will go. cliff
Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 PM
FLATHEAD FOR LIFE

Whats the code # for the HD tranny thats in that F-600 grain truck I need an idea so I can look it up on the internet.

thanks Pat

I bet I could pull just about anything if i kept that tranny?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercflathead

Whats the code # for the HD tranny thats in that F-600 grain truck I need an idea so I can look it up on the internet.
On the VIN plate, under the VIN NO, should be entries marked TR, RR and so on. The character(s) under TR will be the trans code. You may also need the ASSEMBLY TAG NO. off the transmission to fully identify it.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 PM

Toploader

Find a toploader 3 or 4 speed manual. They are bulletproof and reliable. A Hurst Competition shifter would make shifting a real pleasure.

They aren't the cheapest but I guarantee you could not make enough power from a y-block to break one if you tried, ie drag style launches, powershifting, etc.

Those truck transmissions can work but tend to be huge, and have odd shifter locations. Another downside is outrageously steep first gear ratios. The T19 I had in my '89 F-250 had something along the lines of a 4.2:1 1st, barely good enough to get rolling.

So, get a small block, wide ratio toploader and you will be happy! The only downside is some sort of bellhousing adapter.

Andy
Old 04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Is it actually two transmissions (one mounted behind the other) or a four speed main with a two-speed rear?
A 4+2 is generally a four speed transmission with a two speed rear end. This is not always the case but if your reverse is on your 4-speed then I would assume it has a two speed rear.

I drove a Mack cement mixer at one time that had a 5+2 (two transmissions one behind the other), reverse was on the two speed so you had 5 reverse gears. That old Mack would do 60 mph or better in reverse. I was working for a road construction company so sometimes you would be required to back up for a mile or more to get to the paver, so the high speed reverse was a good thing. It was a lot of fun, you are driving at a high rate of speed in reverse using only your mirrors for guidance and meeting the unloaded trucks that are driving forward in the opposite direction.

I have driven dump trucks with two transmissions (one mounted behind the other). The ones I drove had 5+4s a 5-speed with a 4-speed mounted behind it, reverse was on the 5-speed. We called them suicide-shifters since sometimes you had both hands on the shifters and no hands on the wheel.

When you get into heavy truck transmissions there are a lot of variations and I would be willing to bet that almost none of them are much good for hot rodding. One mixer and one dump truck that I drove had 8-speeds, you shifted four gears then shifted to high by rotating the shifter knob and went through the next four gears. It was an H pattern but 1st and 2nd were beside each other (up toward the dash), 3rd and 4th were beside each other (down toward the back of the cab). I would like to know what genius thought that up (shifting in a clockwise circle does not make for speedy shifts).
Old 06-05-2005, 02:49 AM

Tranny Choices

The y-block has some easy choices, you have some hard ones.

First, unless your building a 4x4 hotrod FORGET the truck tranny!

A factory ford tranny from a car with a y-block would be easy. For a hot rod I wouldn't consider a manual trans from a pickup either. Most of them were "crashbox" trannies. You had to come to a complete stop to get it back in first gear. If your absolutely set on a manual trans consider www.transmissionadapters.com. They have an adapter that'll let you bolt a late model mustang 5-spd to a Y-block.

Me personnally, I'd ditch the clutch and bolt in a C-4 or AOD either one with a Genie Shifter will "look" like a manual without all the hassles.

You haven't said what your hotrod is ?? Puttin' a manual in a T-bucket or heavily channeled (body lowered over the frame) car is a nightmare. If you're not using a factory frame you'll wind up having to fabricate a clutch linkage or create a hydraulic clutch setup. Shifter arms are on the side of a lot of older 4-spd trannies (requiring more space and more linkage).

I'm putting a 332 with heavy duty 5 spd in a 4 wheel drive '56 F-100. It was originally a 3spd column shift. It's a Ford in a Ford, but there are still a LOT of complications. You also need to keep in mind that the truck 292 is mounted by it's nose and the bell housing. I don't remember, off hand, about the Y-block, but the 50's truck and car 6-cyl blocks were different. A 6-cyl truck block doesn't have side mount provisions (bolt holes). Side mount is like most small block chevies: one mount on each side of the block and one at the trans.

Jim

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.