Tranny being really wierd.... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I hate to say it but those late model Camaro's seem to be really fragile vehicles with very flexible chassis (Sorry, I really do like the looks of them).

I had purchased a 92 Iroc T-Top with the intention of racing it in SCCA GT1, the car had some hard miles but was cosmetically perfect...except for the torched springs!!! Any way I did some quick chassis torsion tests in the garage with a friends help. I had intended to drop a built 400 SBC in it and clean up the Mustang racers at my track. Well to make a long story short the car was so weak in torsion and bend stiffness that I just sold the car, I had thought that a T-Top car would have extra reinforcement in the frame and firewall but this car was absolutely pathetic. It was so bad that the doors would pop out when lifting it on a jack on one corner because the plastic door jamb bushing was gone! Too bad the car was a black on black IROC and I do love the way they look. I drove a few of them after to see if it was just that car that was bad but they all seem to share the same affliction...T-Top or not. Now that you mention it, the trans was shot in that car too.

A cage would have solved a lot of the problems but it would have been way overweight by the time you figure all the reinforment necessary to make the car competitive. The Vettes of the same vintage are way better and almost the same price. It seems these days if you want a factory Rod that will last you should buy the stick version, the automatics in todays cars are virtually on the edge as far as durability goes.

Case in point...look at the Dodge Minivans with the overdrive autos. Auto trans failure is nearly an epidemic in these vehicles, members of my immediate family have had three of these trucks/cars transmission failures in the last year alone. And they were driven by grandmas compared to you and I. Seems every one of them were driven in OD in the city and that is what seems to kill them all, after I explained to them not to engage OD until your on the highway they seem to work OK.

They all said the same thing..."I didn't know that?". Funny the Japanese automatics don't seem to fail at all, maybe the big three needs another lesson in transmission design.

Just an observation.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2002, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: chevyelc81 ]</p>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2002, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Your 92 Iroc was a third generation car, and I do admit, from what Ive seen, they do flex alot. However, my 95 (4th generation) seems to be very stiff. Plus Ive always heard people say that you don't need to do much to the chassy of 4 gen camaros and firebirds cuz they are already built strong at the factory(this is what ive been told), and I believe it because this t-top car is very stiff, almost no flexing when I jack it up from one corner. Plus, it has a LT-1 350 with a chip, Gigliotti cold air intake system, and Borla exhuast, I would say at least 320 hp with no cracking windshield or t-tops poping off, like ive experienced before in stock chassied 3rd gens and 2nd gens from body flex. I wanted to get the 6 speed, I would be in heaven if it was a 6 speed. Its got the .5 overdrive so gas mileage is great, plus really low 1st and 2nd gears, but I stumbled across this automatic car which I THOUGHT was a good deal, plus it was fast...so i gave in.

You are right about inport trannys never breaking. I had an 86 vw golf with a 3 speed auto. I ran it up on a guard rail in the snow trying to avoid a deer and it sliced a hole right through the tranny oil pan. I welded the hole back up, and all I had laying around was 1 quart of dextron 3 tranny fluid, so I threw that in, and just drove it, it worked fine. About 8 months later of everyday pizza delivering, and raw punishment, the tanny started to slip, but its amazing how it just kept on going with 1 quart of tranny fluid.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:16 PM

Smile

Hi
I think I'd buy a clutch and 5 speed be cheaper to fix
Old 09-19-2002, 07:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Get yourself a '54-'55 dual range 4 speed Hydro and you won't have these problems. Good, strong 200# cast iron case, no oil cooler necessary, can hold it in any gear with a simple modification patented by the Spar brothers of B&M fame, or shift it where ever you want, when ever you want with no concerns. It has no sprag clutches to blow up, no torque converter to screw up. Originally designed to handle military Sherman tanks. Handles any HP you want to put behind it. What could be better?

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 09-19-2002, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

If I don't sell it, ill probably end up putting a 6 speed in it from another 4th gen. You can find a car wrecked at the junk yard for like $750-$1000, with all the clutch brackets and stuff you need, but i think im gonna sell it. Thanx though
Old 09-20-2002, 01:43 AM

Unhappy

Lets start to think about competition and the use of the engine as a "brake" ,in F1(no) in Nascar(no)in WRC(no)the only people who don't reley on brakes are sprint cars -a situation where you are on the power, and off for only a moment. The next time you watch a race, think about? why the cars in an endurance race come into the pits with their brakes red hot! Willy 36 and 4 Jaw Chuck--- what can I say
Old 09-24-2002, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

yea, yea, yea, I know, whatever, its to late now, cuz yesterday the *#$%ing tranny lost 4th and 3rd driving down the highway at 70mph. No beating, or downshift what so ever. The car only goes forward in 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th just don't work. Looks like im gonna be getting greasy, turning wrenches and swearing my head off this weekend.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.