Tranny Build? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 07:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny Build?

Ok here is the deal... I have a 1966 Ford F100 truck with a 302 from a 77 LTD. It has the original 66 3 speed in it now but my reverse is out on it now or at least I think it is. I messed with the linkages a tiny bit but when I go to back up it will pop out and when I try to hold it in it will sit and grind and wont go at all. Now I know it's a sintrifugal (sp?) type of tranny so you are supposed to shift to 2nd then to reverse first to stop all the gears inside from spinning. Anyways I have a guy building me a C4 now (an automatic will be much better since it's a daily driver anyways) and I should have asked this before giving him the ok but here are my questions and some info. He said he will build me a C4 and have it out the door for 950 bucks or so and throw in a shift kit for me for no charge.
Here is his price list.
1.) 2200-2500 stall converter- $288
2.) He has a C4 case for- $125
3.) Tranny Cooler- $40 (he said maybe he can get one for like 25 or 30 he has to look around more)
4.) Installation- $250 (that is installing all the lines for cooler, oil filled, tranny up, driveshaft cut, crossmember, etc)
5.) Rebuild kit with the bands, etc- $250

I don't know the brand stuff he is using but he drag races or used to and seems to know his stuff so I don't think it's all cheap parts. I will ask him the brands tomarrow because that stall converter seems mighty high on price.
He said $950 total and then I have to buy the shifter which I am getting the B&M Pro Stick shifter with the Magnum Handle for $199.

So here are my two questions again in order since I just kind of said a ton of stuff there that may confuse you guys..
1.) Does that price seem reasonable for a new tranny and installation?
2.) On that B&M pro stick shifter do I have to buy that $50 mounting bracket from B&M or is there a way to just bolt that thing to the floor?

Thanks a lot for any help on this! The sooner I can get the help and answers the better.

Shawn-

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Do the right thing...

I don't know about the shifter, but that sounds like a sweet deal! A shop would prolly ask for almost a grand to do all that! The converter might be a B&M unit if you say he drag races, and that's a popular converter with racers.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Alright cool. Well I will ask him either tomarrow or Monday. He seems like a real nice guy and even said that I can stay and help so I can learn more about transmissions if I want. I don't think I will thought because I am dropping it off at the shop on Monday and I have class that night for college from 6 till 8:30 at night and I have a ton of work to get done between now and then. Before I bring it in I am going to put my bucket seats in that I have sitting here so I can have the shifter sat back towards me instead of way forward like it will have to be with the bench seat.
Thanks for the comment and anymore info or comments are appreciated!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.