Tranny gears or rear gears? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny gears or rear gears?

I have a '64 Nova wagon with a 194 6 and the stock 3:36 rear gears. It originally had a three speed on the column. I have since replaced it with a BW 5 speed from an S-10 pickup and replaced the 13/80-185 tires with 14/205-70s. The four gears are a definite improvement over the three but the gear spacing could be better and I am unable to use the 5th (overdrive) without losing gas mileage. Kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, I see two options:
1. Replace the rear gears with numerically lower gears (3:08). Benefits- lower RPMs on the freeway, increase in mileage ( I hope). Drawback- still no use for the 5th gear.
2. Replace the rear gears with a numerically higher gears (3:55-3:73). Benefits- I most likely can use the 5th gear. Drawback- 1st gear is 3:76 and short already so I most likely won't need it unless I start pulling stumps. The whole reason I made the swap was to possibly improve the 20 mpg I already get on the freways. I am now wishing I had just gone with a Saginaw 4 speed. It would have been cheaper. What do you guys think?

Strummin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You are higher geared ( effectively ) with the 14 inch tires ... over the 13's. A 3.08 will make it worse IMHO. You need to go the other way ... and gear it down so when you use 5th gear ... it will be a little LOWER RPM wise with the 14's than it was with 13's and the 3.36 ... IMHO

Also mileage comparisons now to the past are not accurate unless you corrected the speedometer ... because the odometer will be off. With the 14's ... you have went further that the odometer shows ...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

usually thats why i dont believe anyone sayin theryre hotrod gets 20 mpg ! speedometer gearing error.

if you have a big engine with a cam, i think its all going out the tailpipe
Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

20mpg was driving conservatively back from a 220 mile trip to Reno on the stock engine and and original 3 speed tranny. I now need to find my engine's "happy zone" where it's able to work efficiently and not scream at 3250 while doing it.

Strummin
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

...And yes the odometer is off. After I replaced the tranny I had my wife pace me in her car. When she was doing 65mph I was showing 61mph. I have an RPM/Gearing calculator that says with my current combination I should be running at 2900rpm at 65mph. This is a 6 not a V8 so I'm learning that there are a different set of rules to follow.

Strummin

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.