Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - tranny good except one strange issue
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
High mileage tranny?
Car has 137k but I am not sure if this is the original - the guy at the trans shop said it looked like it was either a meticulously maintained original, or a replacement at some point.

Trans is a 4t60

Quote:
Does the tranny operate the same cold & hot??
When cold it always has the problem stated earlier. When hot, the problem happens maybe 50% of the time.

Quote:
A multitude of items can cause your neutral situation as described. worn seals ,hard internal seals , short lip seals on the pistons input drum, sprag clutch not holding , input clutch pack worn out, pump is worn out = low pressure the tranny will drop out of gear.

In manual 1 gear , there are more items applied , so the tranny has more holding power..
Just wanted to point out that it never falls out of 1st gear, whether its a manual 1st gear or in 1st gear while the shift lever is in drive. It only falls to neutral when failing to downshift to 1st from 2nd. And if I shift from neutral to drive while at a stop (putting it into 1st) it always holds 1st gear then as well.

Quote:
the flush job probably flushed out some debris that helped the tranny function.
I have been driving it for a couple weeks and manually shifting to neutral then back into drive when needed. Do you think I may be hurting it by doing this? Its really not a hassle and is preferable to a 4-figure $ rebuild.

Thanks!