Tranny guys...I need a little help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny guys...I need a little help!

Here's the situation: I just took my apache for a ride for the 1st time the other day. It has a TH400. Reverse and drive work fine but, it will not shift itself from low (1st) gear to second then 3rd. Its stuck in 1st! After doing some research I checked a few things...

1: Vacuum line from base at back of carb to modulator is fine...Vacuum is present and modulator is new.

2: Shifter linkage is good. Lever shifts into all gear positions on side of transmission

3: Pulled out the governor and it looks to be intact and in good working order.

I have not resorted to replacing the filter as of yet. The truck sat at least 1 1/2 years. The trans was near empty before I took it out so I did fill with fresh fluid. It was supposedly a freshly rebuilt unit (thats what the PO told me)

Anything I'm missing? I'm about to head out of town for a couple of days so I will check back Friday to see if ya'll have any ideas...Thx so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

When you had the gov out, did you move the weights in and out and watch for the center valve to move? (gov shaft standing up, weights down)
sounds like a gov problem to me, but then again, i'm NO trans expert! LOL

Mark
Old 05-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
When you had the gov out, did you move the weights in and out and watch for the center valve to move? (gov shaft standing up, weights down)
sounds like a gov problem to me, but then again, i'm NO trans expert! LOL

Mark

The valve moved like it's supposed to... When I get back in town, I'll take another look at it. Thx!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

tranny guys

I once bought a used car with a "rebuilt tranny" and it did ALMOST the same thing. Would stay in 1st gear forever, then slam into second and stay there until I thought the engine was over wound, then slam into third. I checked everything I knew to check, and turns out the kick down linkage was not hooked up. Strange, but this seemed to fix it, of maybe I jarred something loose when I had the pan and filter off, the gov and modulater out, etc....good luck
Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

t-400 tranny does not have linkage for kick down......

another possibility is the passing gear solenoid is broke , stuck open or not there... the trans may 'think' it is in passing gear full time and not shift till a high road speed.

Valve body shift 1-2 valve may be stuck
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 AM

tranny guys need a little help

If you have access to a pressure gauge, it will help you narrow the search a little.

If the passing gear solenoid is the problem, with the gauge on the mainline tap, it will register high line pressure, your pressure in park should be about 70 psi. Unless you have a stiffer pressure regulator spring,which most shift kits provide.

But if you have over 100 psi, suspect the solenoid.

It may be a stuck 1-2 shift valve as well, but if you check mainline first and the pressure is high, it will save you the hassle of pulling the valve body.

I know some people don't like using a gauge, but this is a good example of how it can be benefical. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 PM

If you have vacuum down at the modulator (if disconnected it will change the rpm of the idle) then it is most likely in the governor area. Make sure that you are not getting current (voltage) to the downshift switch, as this will not let it upshift until at a high rpm. Vacuum modulators can go bad, but not often, if these ideas do not solve this, check out the modulator to see if it is working properly, and make sure that the modulator valve that is in the case moves freely.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I guess we need to wait on the fellow to get back into town for a response .....
Old 06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

Hey ya'll...Just got back in town and its too late tonight to check it...Will check in the morning and see what I come up with...I'll keep you posted! Thx for the responses!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

1st step...Checked the modulator and replaced with a new "red line". Changed the internal setting a couple of times and there was no change...

I'm about to go out and drop the pan and see what she looks like. I'll check back in a bit...
Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

I pulled the pan and changed the fluid/filter... As I suspected, the old filter looked fresh and new. Never hurts to check when you don't know. I'm afraid to sat though...There is NO CHANGE in behavior. Still stuck in 1st (low) gear!

Crosley, You speak of a solenoid... Forgive my ignorance but transmissions are not my bread and butter. Can you tell me more about it? Where its located, how to remove (if necessary) etc? Is it where the wire would connect to on the drivers side? There is no wire connected to that post. If I hook a wire to it, where would the other end go and would it possibly be part of the problem?

Thx so much to all of you helping this numbskull out!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Where in TX are you?

The detent solenoid is the small device bolted with two bolts inside the pan, next to the valve body. If it is stuck it could cause your issue. Sometimes the wire leading to it gets a constant supply of power and keeps it in the passing gear position, but it sounds as if you don't have this connected.

Remove the solenoid, be sure it is clean, bench test it with 12V, and if all is OK, re-install it, some require a gasket, and others do not. Look for a round flat rubber seal on the bottom (trans case side), and if so, install without a gasket.

If all seems OK with it, while you have the pan off, drop the valve body, and check the 1-2 shift valve.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

Hey Jake I'm in College Station. I'm done for today but I might just drop the pan Again tomm to check the solenoid you describe. Now I don't know about the 1-2 shift...thats another language to me...I'm not well-versed in transmission issues! Thx for the response!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Texan593 did you pull the valve out of the valve body behind the vacuum modulator like Pro Built Automatics suggested.I used to run a turbo 400 in my 59 Apache.The valve behind my modulator was stuck and it would not let it up-shift.I used one of those little screwdrivers with a magnet on it and stuck it in the hole and pulled it out.It had a little bur on it so it would not move freely.I cleaned it up with a little emery cloth and put it back in and it took care of the problem.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

Ok Sorry about the delay...I pulled the valve out and it didn't want to move too freely. On one of the "lobes" it looks to have been "cut" I've included a pic so you can see. Is that a normal thing or should it be round everywhere? I'm about to give it a good cleaning and see what happens...Wish me luck!

(in the pic the flat spot shows up like a triangle)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	21989  

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.