Tranny has no forward or reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny has no forward or reverse

Hi,

I would be most grateful if you would give me some advice on the following.

6 months after the transmission fluid change by an indy, the below symptoms developed. After a mile to a mile and a half of low speed driving, my 2001 saab 95se with 67k on it, lost both forward and reverse gears. The car wouldn’t move while engine revved. Check engine and transmission warning lights were on. Autozone found code #P0730.Talked to the same indy and then the dealer, both said that I need a new tranny. Both didn’t open the tranny for inspection to find out the cause of the problems. I then used a bottle of “Sea Foam” and changed the fluid. It was dirty These particles are as small as you would find in metallic paint. However, the driving mileage increased from 1 mile to about 10. I made second fluid change 2 days later and it was dirty and there were small amount of metal presented in drain pan. These metal particles are as small as those found in metallic paint on car surface.

Do I really need a new tranny or something minor? Note that the indy who did the fluid exchange has put in Dexron 2 instead of Saab specify Dexron 3. How do I know? It's handwritten on the receipt.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks

jb

jb

Advertisement

Last edited by jon B; 04-14-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Let's hear about some background of the car.
Did you buy it new?
How did you get it?
Who has been doing the maintenance?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
Let's hear about some background of the car.
Did you buy it new?
How did you get it?
Who has been doing the maintenance?
I bought it a year and a half ago with 47k on it from Ebay. The car was mechanically excellent, as evidented in the next 20K of driving. It has no tranny problems whatsoever. The car was serviced by the dealer prior to my purchase and I have all record to show for it. I went to the indy for 60K service and 7k miles later, I got the tranny problem.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

Could be a HUGE deal. When you put the shifter into forward or reverse, does it shift into drive or reverse? (can you feel it shift into gear?) Check your shifter cable. It will look like a plastic boot on a round pin thing, has a cable that goes up into the car. It's on the driver's side. Is it broken? Make sure that you have ENOUGH fluid (and not too much) When you drained it, you put in Dex III right? When checking tranny fluid, make sure that the car is in park and running. DO NOT OVERFILL. =) There are a number of things. If it's a broken shifter cable, that's a problem. FWD/RWD? Jack up the car so that the tires that would move the car are off the ground, put the parking brake on, and shift it manually down at the transmission into Drive/Reverse. MAKE SURE THE TIRES ARE OFF THE GROUND OR THE CAR WILL START ROLLING. If the shifter cable's broken, and this puts it in gear (when you give it gas the tires spin) take it in to a tranny shop to have the cable replaced, unless you feel up to doing it yourself. If you have a lift accessible to you, USE IT INSTEAD OF JACKS. It's a test that will tell you for sure if it's an internal problem or not. The boot usually just pops off of the pin on the shifter plate. You'll see what I'm talking about when you look at it. Let us know how it goes... hope I've helped! Just how I'd do it.

*Edit*

Little research, here ya go.

"The remedy/solution for the MIL Error Code (P0700, P0730, P0715) from a Technician's Book was to replace the "Shift Control Solenoid Assembly", then if the problem persist, replace the "Linear Solenoid"."

http://www.autofan.com/forum_reply.a...8&level=3&all=
Old 04-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That still doesn't account for the metal in the fluid. Me thinks something went way bad inside.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.