Hot Rod Forum banner

Which tranny on a LS1 Chevelle. Cant decide!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
I have a 70 Chevelle project that I am finaly about to install a 98 Firehawk T/A WS6 LS1 engine in. I am ordering a Edelbrock Victor Jr LS1 carb manifold, MSD 6LS ignition, Edelbrock motor mount plates, and Edelbrock A-Body conversion headers. The next question on the project is the trans. I want to use one of the two that I have. My car is an orig. Muncie 4 speed car. I have a fresh built M21, and a fresh built 93 4L60E out of a P/U. I know the block is a bit different from an older engine, as well as the crank needing a spacer. I also know that by using either trans on an LS1 you loose one bellhousing bolt hole. If I go with the 4L60E, how do I get it to shift? I like the idea of overdrive since I am running 4.10 gears. But I also like the light weight, strong, M21. I loose overdrive but..... Any one done a TH350/400, 700R4/early 4L60E swap on this engine? What is the required spacers for the crank? If I run the M21, what elese is needed? Crank spacers, pilot bushing/bearing. If the starter ring moves its location by a spacer of some kind, will the starter still work? Questions, questions, questions....Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.