TRANny & O/D light problem on 96 mercury mystique - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 09:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post TRANny & O/D light problem on 96 mercury mystique

ok i got a 96 mercury msytique(automatic).im drivin at above 65 for at least 10 minitues or more then the O/D light turns on by itself...and shifting problem occurs. i try to depress the O/D button, but its the same thing. the O/D light still on....or other times when im driving in city streets the O/D light doesnt turn on ...but it rides real smoothly like it should then all of a sudden hard shifting starts occuring ,like when it shifts...it makes a loud" THHUUMMP" evertime it shifts.... coming from the engine or tran. i dont know.....can someone tell me whats going on....please help me out its starting to piss the **** out of me i want to have an idea of whats wrong before i take it to a transmisson shop..or maybe with your help///i can fix it on my own thanks....

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

you need to have a quality scanner hooked to the car's system to check for trouble codes.

A test drive with the scanner on the car is usually needed in some cases.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:42 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Like Crosley said. You need to have it checked for codes. It may be something as simple as the switch for the overdrive, or something major. Best to find out before it gets worse, spelled MORE EXPENSIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2003, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

Most likely torq converter not able to remain in lock up code 628 will set (fem) failer emergency management ie (HARD SHIFTS) transmisssion shop time, also can be forward drum trouble
Old 11-20-2003, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

its been a while since i put that post. im goin to make a long story short......the tranny broke down on me so i took it to a tranny shop...i went to these guys cus a firend told me that he use to work with the guy who now is the manager there. ok so they put it on the scanner and the code was torque converter locking up.......at the end i got a rebuild torque converter and rebuild tranny,,with brand new tranny mounts and engine mounts...when i got the car back i drove it that day and stilll felt the hard shifting....i was going to take back to them the next day...,later that same day i went up a big grade and all of a sudden the trannmisson went out . the RPMs went to 6 thousand redline....but the car dident move..so i steered to the side of the road......so i took it back then they gave it back to me and said there was a faluty torque converter.so i took it home but i drove it and i still felt the hard shifting....(when i say hard shifting i mean in my case it sound like it changes gears at the wrong time) so i took it back and they said there were going to put another tranny from there other shop....they drove it that day and told me that the "hard shifting was still there. and then they fix the problem..they said the car was ready and said that the tranny vavle body was getting like cloged up or sotmhin when it got hot...i dident really know what they where talking about.....anyways i took it homethat night and on the freeway the car kinda stalled and jerked and the RPms got soo high but then it got back to normal and right when that happend the "Check engine light came on ....so i took it back the next day.....they called me later on that day and said that they pulled out the code and it was a po3 somthing i cant remember. and the code was " ingition/distrubor, not sending input",somthing like that........
i knew that that was going to be the code becuse before i took it back to the shop i took it to a friend but i dident tell the shop i did that .....i just wanted to see what they told me about the code, and they where telling the truth.
anyways the guy at the shop is telling me it could be a MASS sensor or TPS...................... this last time i told the guy i wanted my money back and he said that they cant cus the tranny has already been rebuilt. but it has a 2 year or some certain mile warrenty.

and thats the latest............................................ .............can someone shed some light this story or give me there opionions.... also if its a bad TPS sensor or MASS sensor do you guys suggest i get a used one from like a used car....?? what are the prices for a car like that?

thanks
joe
Old 11-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Sounds like a crappy shop. We have a few around here that do some stuff similar to what you are saying. I had paid someone to replace an engine for me once because at that time I was working 12-14 hour days 7 day's a week for 3 months and was tired. Had to return the car 4 times to fix a oil leak at he sender. Then they told me it as cracked and I had to buy a new one. I was so pissed off. It didn't leak when I brought it in.

You need to find a better shop and tell them your story. I think the shop you are at is to worried about making money and not satisfying the customer.

There is a famous shop here that will recommend replacing the entire front end before an alignment so the alignment stay's longer. The price is $50 for the alignment and $300 for the rest of the part's as well as $74 an hour for labor. Sure the alignment will last longer but the price overrides benefit to me.

Had an A/C system checked last spring and the shop said the A/C system had a leak and they couldn't refill the system without fixing the leak. I asked the manager to show me the leak and he showed me a wet spot on the rubber hose leading to the compressor located at the front lower right of the engine. They insisted on replacing the hose at $150 and told me that once they opened the system the accumulator and dryer would need replacing as well and the price would be 557 dollars. All for a system that cooled at 65' instead of 55'. They still insisted on charging me $50 for a A/C system refill although the car had yet to receive even a drop of refrigerant. They are still trying to sue me.
I took the car down the road to the closest competitor and asked them to drain the system of R12 and they even paid me 10 bucks for what was in it. Then I bought a R134A conversion kit for $30 at Walmart and it maintains a 45 degree temps all through the summer last year. Even with temps near 100' for parts of it.

Some shops are so concerned at doing the job right to prevent the comeback that they will overcharge for the job. Some are so concerned at making money they forget to make the customer happy.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:00 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Thought this was a hotrodders site not fix all late models page!! Check out iatn.com. International Automotive Technitians Network for the late model stuff. Use it everyday at work.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:41 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Yes, this is a Hotrodder site. I don't recall that we chase away anyone for needing help on any type of car tho.

As for the problem at hand. On the newer "computer controlled" cars, many times one problem leads to another. Even on non "computer controlled" cars, an engine that isn't running right will many times have an effect on how a trans operates. Since the torque convertor lock-up is controlled by the computer, the readings it gets from the engine, can definately cause problems with the trans operation.

As for the MAS sensor, they are usually expensive. I don't know about that particular car, but I have seen them in the $600-$800 range for a new one. The problem with getting a used one is that there may be a problem with that one, and most yards won't take something like that back if you buy one used. A TPS usually can be bought for about $30.00- $60.00 from a parts store. On many cars, again I don't know about that particular car, they are not a simple screw on part. They have to be adjusted properly. This will atleast take a good volt/ohm meter. Many take a scanner to adjust them properly.

Unfortunatley, the newer cars have in many cases surpassed the level where the repairs can be done at home by DIY. There is too much technology and equipment issues for back yard repair. You need to find a shop, put your trust(limited as it may be) in what they tell you. Then hope for the best.

Remember, parts do go bad. It isn't always the shop or person that has worked on the vehicle to blame for your problems. A few months ago I had a vehicle in the shop that had been hit on the passenger side doors. WHen the customer picked up the veh the "check engine" light was on. He swore that it was from the accident or we did something to it. After it was checked at the dealership, it was found that it had a bad spark plug that was missfireing. Absolutely nothing to do with the accident or repairs done to the veh.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

its been long time since i post those replies...back to the story, i been wanted to sell the mercury..so i took it back to the tranny shop again.........then they said they put antoer rebuit tranny..and they told me it was ready but b4 i took the car home i drove it around the shop....and it was still acting up...so i went back and told them and had the tech drive it with me( throughtout the months i took it back they fixed little things that mad it better but is shifted hard when i went from a stop sign ...to 3,000 RPms then back to 2,500 and press the gas it would jerk sudden ...anyways it just wasent right,.....so they sent it out to another tranny shop ,..........later on they detrmined that the lower contrl arms bushings where ****ed up././and that was cuasing the probelm i check it out myself and they where so bad. i could move the tires while on the ground....kinda like a loose bearings.......so at the end they came to conclude that it was the lower control arms.........the tanny needed to be rebulid but the hard shifting still happend due to lower control arm bushings.............thats the latest up that i havent goten them fix cus i dont want to spend no mroe $$ on it i plan to sell the car,,,
Old 08-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

i don't see lwr control arm bushings giving you a shift problem. ride problem, tire wear, yes, but trans no. last ford trans that i worked on with o/d light going off&on/flashing was in what ford called FMEM. it's caused by bad MLP sensors, and some internal sensors that i can't remember the names of off the top of my head. if the problem is not rectified, and the trans is "rebuilt" with these faulty parts, it will go back into FMEM as a safety feature, but inevitably cook the trans in a very short time period. incidently the mercury "mistakes" (as they are known here ) were known for trans problems.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.