Hot Rod Forum banner

Tranny for old 3.8 & 4.3 V6's ??????????????

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Stick'n It 
#1 ·
O.K.

Sadly enough my project may be on hold for awhile.

I came across a COMPLETE V6 & Tranny,in my search for a SBC V8.

It's a old 4.3 with a straight Carb,& the motor mounts still on it.
(# 471594)

It turns freely & looks to be in good shape,the guy says it was running when they took it out of a 72' El Camino.

My wife really likes the Idea of dropping the combo down into our 83' Cutless Supreme,(thought it was a 84" until i checked the title) .

It has a "NONRUNNING" 3.8 and tranny in it as we speak.

Heres the question...

Will the 4.3,& tranny go right into the Cutless without a FUSS?

Are the two Tranny's the same.So I can rebuild the old one that comes out with the 3.8,and set it back as a spare for the 4.3?
(DEAR GOD HELP ME,there both automatics!)

I checked the Forums,& unless it's hidden,in code etc... didn't see anything answering these particular questions.

I really do need to get a Back-Up car going quickly,as we have only one car running,(under protest) at the present.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I remember correctly an 83 "G" body used a 2004r trans which is the same length at the 72 350 turbo, but the mount is way back on the rear so your crossmember won't fit. The trannys will not direct swap as the belhousings are different. Motor and frame mounts are completely different, as are ALL brackets, exhaust parts and cooling system. If the motor from the 72 is carbed, it is probably a 229, not a 4.3 and they are turds from the start.

#3 · (Edited)
I don't believe it is the original Motor,& Tranny that came in the Camino.

I think it is one that they got ahold of,redid and slapped it in.

The Block,& Heads have been painted light blue,& it has Chrome Moroso Valve Covers,& Push-On Breathers on it,(very slick).

It's at a Junk Yard that deals mainly with 40's,& up "Classic" Cars..
They got the Camino from someone,(whole) Pulled the Motor,& Tranny then sold the Camino Body.

The guy seems to be "Genuine",& straight forward.
He says he's had several people look at it,(THANK GOD practically everone's V8 crazy) & without him saying a word they all say 4.3.

I read on another post today that if one were to look closely enough
they'd see 4.3 Stamped onto the Block right after the GM Logo.

I saw the GM stamp but I was reading it backwards bent over the motor,
with it practically pushed up against the wall.
I'll go back with a Back-Brace,& a Flashlight to check it out more thoroughly.

I can "Snag" the combo with the motor mounts on it for $400.00
I may be wrong but it sounds like a good deal to me,& I must admit
the more I see it the more I like it!

So what would I be looking at in parts,especially in real $$$
if it is indeed a 4.3?:confused:

Can the Crossmember be easily aquired,& changed,
(as well as all the other parts)?

Chaz

P.S. I honestly do believe it's already been tricked!:D

P.S.S. Does anyone happen to know if the 4.3 was stamped on "ALL"
of the 4.3 blocks,(including the older ones)????????????????????????

P.S.T. If it is a 229 would it be stamped on the block as well?

#4 · (Edited)
In contrast to a response above, the TH-2004R will fit any GM V-6 or V-8 that you would normally find in any of these cars, they were manufactured with BOTH the Chevy And B-O-P-Caddy bellhousing bolt patterns.

Given enough time and information I have enough books here to figure out exactly what you have and where it came from.

If the engine is original:
If it is a straight 6, it would be a 4.1 liter 250, dog but reliable.

If it is a V-6 it is NOT the original engine, the V-6's didn't appear until the:
200 Chevy for 78 and 79
229 Chevy for 80 through 84
262 Chevy from 85 on
OR the...
231 Buick from 78 to 84

The Chevy V-6's will have the ID numbers stamped on the block in front of the passenger side head just like the V-8's.

The Buick V-6 will have the ID numbers stamped on the drivers side of the bellhousing flange facing the drivers side of the car, between the lowest bellhousing bolt and dowel pin locations.

The Chevy V-6 has the distributor in the rear like the V-8, the Buick V-6 has the distributor in the front like the Buick V-8's, the L-6 has the distributor located on the passenger side of the engine below the #2 spark plug area.

The Chevy V-6 engines look almost exactly like one another. :(

Hopefully this info helps out.

#5 · (Edited)
M&M CUSTOM

:thumbup: "TREMENDOUSLY" :thumbup:

I will deffinatly go back,& check it out thoroughly.
Hopefully today!

So will i not have to get a whole buch of different parts to put this combo in my Cutlass.Will it drop right in,& bolt up just like they were made for it?

Remember even though the Engine is a different Size,
the Motor Mounts are already on it.

I guess the more pressing question would be,
do the motor mounts that fit a 72' El Camino also fit a 83' Cutlass Supreme,right?

Or will the Motor Mounts that are already on my Cutlass work anyway?
Or are the Motor mounts I will need Cheap,& Readily available?

If it truly is a 4.3 it is a different size isn't it?
(i mean physically,not displacement wise)

I think the #'s I posted the first time around are correct,(the guy read them off to me) but I will double check them so WE all will know for sure.

I't sure is great being able to get USEFUL information.I am really beging to like,(enjoy,& appreciate) this Forum!

THANKS,THANKS,THANKS:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

P.S. If it truly is a 4.3 will it be stamped on the block right after the GM Logo?
(even on the older block's)

Do "ALL" of the GM V6's have the Liters tamped on them after the logo?
(old,& new)

#6 ·
O.K. Here's the Skinny,

The #'s are indeed "471594",cast just above the GM logo on the rear drivers side of the block,(if you were standing in front of a hood looking down the motor).

There is also a "F 30 80" Cast into the center of the block,& a "T3" cast on the passenger side.

There is a "81 CX" cast on the center of the transmission.
(with the 81 underlined)

There is no 4.3 Cast on the block,(anywhere that I can see) or any other Liter designation of any kind.

Thats,That!

P.S. The distributor is "Center Rear".

#7 ·
P.S. The distributor is "Center Rear".
That tells me it is indeed a Chevy V-6.

Now that only narrows it down to the 200, 229, and 262. :confused:

I did a quick search on the internet and came up with the following:

Make Casting Number Engine CID

Chevy 471594 229

Chevy 461344 200

This is a 3.8 liter engine, just two cylinders cut out of a 305.
The 200 is a 267 with two cylinders missing, and the 262 is a 350 without the other two.
You could do much better. :(

#8 · (Edited)
For $450.00?

There's "Really" not that much available in my area.Not to mention I can make payments on it comfortably,& the guy will deliver it to my door!!!
(if need be)

In fact it is the first,& only Motor/Tranny Combo I have seen for sale period!

The closest thing I have found is a Complete Old 350SBC,
for the same price with 'NO TRANSMISSION" just the motor.

Since it's a 3.8 that tells me "IT WILL DROP RIGHT IN TO MY CUTLASS WITHOUT A FUSS" since thats exactly whats already in it.

Thats enough to tell me it's what I need to get.

Remember it's NOT "My Project Car" so it does'nt have to have
GOBS of power.

Being a 3.8 I will not only have a Spare Tranny,but a spare motor as well!!!

Last but not least,I believe it's already been tricked,& I will have ample time to Trick the one I take out as well,(if the new one isn't of course).

It's as clean as a Whistle to Boot,absolutely no Grease,Grim,or oil any where on it just dust from where It's been sitting,& if you cleaned that off I'm Fairly Certain it would look "BRAND SPANKIN NEW"!!!

The guy told me today that the people who sold the El Camino to him didn't even have it bolted in yet.

Judging by that,and the "INCREDIBLE CLEANLINESS" of the Motor,& Tranny
I would not be surprised in the least if it were Rebuilt,Tricked Out,& NEVER EVEN DRIVEN.(would'nt that be something)

I don't know bout you Bro,but for me that is simply WAY to many pluses to overlook,& if it has been Tricked then I just got myself the BONUS plan.

I DEFIANTLY DIG IT,& I'M GETTIN IT!

So the only question is since it's essentially a 305 - #2 Cylinders will 305 parts work in it?

I would also like to know where on the net you hunted down the,
casting#'s? So I can mark it,& use it myself for future reference.
(maybe even helping someone else out)

Thanks For Helping me out M&M,
you set me Straight when no one else could,or would.

MU CO GRASS SEEUS Me AMIGO! Mu Co Grass Seeus:thumbup:
(bad spanish fully intended)

P.S. What do you think woud be a GOOD Carb to put on this Motor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.