Tranny Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 11:36 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny Problem

700r4

Bought a tranny from bowtieOD... only has 268 miles on it... Followed every last instruction they gave me...
Prob is, loud clanking noises during Idle shifts, full throttle shifts make the tranny 'jump' causing the tail to hit the tunnel walls, wont lock-up, 3rd/4th have no power, and full throttle shifts wont happen till 6000+ when redline is at 5.

Any Ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 01:20 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

yeah, call bowtie, you should have a warranty.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:00 AM

Last photo:

I dont really want to pull the tranny and spend $300 to ship it back to them just so they can look at it
(warrenty is only vaild for service by them, and does not cover shipping)
Old 07-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

My point is, wont you void the warranty if you pull the trans out and start working on it? If so then I really would'nt touch it. If you dont want to ship the trans then can you drive the car up to them or give them a call? Shipping should not be more than $89.00 I've had an engine shipped to me from texas for $89.00 and the weight was close to 200 pounds (lower engine) so the shipping should'nt be all that bad and you should ask them to cover it since your having these problems on such a new rebuild.

If not well then maybe crosley or someone else will view this thread as my knowledge on the 700's is limited at best.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

Pulling the pan and removing the converter and such things, they arent going to mind. At least thats what they've told me.

As for driving the car... Im in Maryland, Bowtie is in California. Wouldnt be the best Idea on a bad transmission.

As for shipping, I was adding packaging (wooden crate), tax, and having it sent back. Rounded it off to about 300
Old 07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

bump
Old 07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

A Few Ideas to Consider

Did you call Bowtieoverdrives? If not, you need to discuss your problems with them. If so, what did they say?

1. Sounds like you do not have the TV cable adjusted correctly. Did you buy one of their custom TV cable and bracket systems for your particular carb or EFI unit?
2. Jumping sounds like a bad trans mount. Did you install a new one, or reuse the old mount?
3. Did you buy the converter from Bowtieoverdrives? If not, maybe you have a non-lockup converter.
4. If it is a lock-up converter, did you install an after market lockup kit for non-computer controlled cars?
5. What stall is the converter? Assuming it is the proper converter, perhaps it is not enough stall for the cam you have, causing the jerking and clunking in/out of park.

I have a 700R4 non-lockup in my Camaro. Originally, I had a universal bracket and the click style cable that came with the trans. I also had an 1800 stall that was a bit jerky (Cam was about 230* @ .050 intake duration). Installed a 2800, now it is nice and smooth in and out of park. I remember having similar problems you describe regarding shifting, etc. After installing Bowtieoverdrives custom bracket and cable for my Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI system, shifting characteristics improved 100%.

These are only a few items to check out. I spoke with their tech advisers on numerous occasions when setting up my TV cable and used a pressure gauge that they also sell. I found their customer service to be very good. Best of luck, Ed.
www.edgesz28.com
Old 07-27-2004, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Talked to bowtie for an hour setting up the TV cable
It is their TV cable system for my MPFI system...
Didnt buy the converter from bowtie, however it is a lockup converter
Brand New trans mount (other one was broken) same symptoms as the broken trans mount however... Most likely it is broken.
Same stall as the last converter i had in my old transmission. (2400-2800 i believe cant remember the exact numbers) But it was the same PN as the last one
The clunking is 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd when it shifts anywhere between 750-1500 rpm
However full throttle shifts, although high, are smooth.
also has a clicking sound when cold in reverse, but I believe its the converter bolts hitting the cover on the driver side

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.