tranny or rear end??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2002, 11:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post tranny or rear end???

I am new to working on cars and have the following questions: 1. I have a 3:55 rear end and a Muncie M20 4 speed in my 65 vette. When I'm going 40mph the tach reads about 1730rpm but the car sounds like I need to shift again but I'm already in forth gear. Most of my driving will be between 40-50 with some highway driving at 65. I can't do 65 now because it sounds like the tranny or something is wound out. I also have side pipes for exhaust which doesn't help the noise factor. Do you think the gearing is to low on either the rear end ot the tranny? Also is anyone familiar with a video put out by Gearzone that tells you step by step how to rebuild a Muncie. I would like the challange of rebuilding the tranny myself but only if the video is user friendly for green horns like me. Thanks, Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2002, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

you will need some special tools to rebuild that muncie, a press to remove 2nd gear, a big thin wrench to remove the front bearing nut, large external snap ring pliars, dial indicator, if you have these you probably have enough gear head ability to rebuild this trans, but there are some tricks to assemble it, get a shop manual and go for it.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

remember that when you are in high gear that the trans is 1-to-1 internally whatever the lower gear spread is, you probably should run some taller rear tires, change tha rear ratio to a 3.08 and go cruising!!! p.s. from an old guy i used to run a big 468 cube 70 Nova on the street with 4:56 rear used to drive it 135 miles home on the weekends then back to the big city for the week talk about r.p.m. and all the buttheads with 3.08 chargers and mustangs want to run top end....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.