Hot Rod Forum banner

Tranny shift problems.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason 
#1 ·
I originally started a post about the servo but decided it better to start a new one and try to explain what the car is doing so maybe someone can give me an idea what they think is going on. I have an 87 camaro iroc z/z28 with 5.7 350 tuned port injection with a 700r4 transmission.The car had sat for a while before i got it and the transmission was b-s, not shifting out of first hardley at all and couldent manuel shift it out of first either. Had park, reverse and neutral but first was all that it would go into and once in a blue moon when messing with it could get it to go into second and 3rd when went into 3rd around 55mile pr hour when 3-4 shift was time it would jump into neutral and have to get off the gas and let the car idle down and then get back on and be back in 3rd gear. Same with overdrive if you punched it in ANY gear it would jump to neutral. Like crosley said , the 3/4 clutches were bad so we replaced them, along with all the rest of the clutches and metals , they were all shot, and the sprag was still in great condition. Now that all clutches are replaced and new seals, the car will go into gear and sometimes it will shift normally into all gears from the overdrive position , when in 4th and punch it takes about a second for it to kick back down into passing gear. Also most of the time you have to manuel shift the gears. Also in first a couple of times id put the shifter into the first position and it would shift from first into second like i had it in the od or drive position. I am trying to get some ideas as to what might be the problem. Also when in OD or D and in 4th gear when you slow way down like to turn or something it wont kick back down gears and go back to first or second and it will take off from 10mph or so from 4th gear, other times it will shift down like its supposed too. All the transmission fluids are fine. Sometimes also when slowing down and its supposed to be downshifting and it isent you can pull it down into second gear or first gear and it wont go it stays up in fourth or 3rd. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
ur 700r4

did u go through the valve body on that thing when u dug into it and replaced those bad parts??? 1st thought that comes to mind is contamintaion. cooler shoulda been flushed, and valve body cleaned and freed up. the description ur giving tells me that the t.v. valve is stinking. if not the shift valves themselves. when u get that much metal run through a 700r4 with the small fluid passages that it has., its best to try to go back in with everything as clean and as free as possible. id also recommend a bottle of red lubeguard... we like to call it many things at work, in this case... a bottle of repeated shifts... hehehe ;) gl

#3 ·
700 R4 Trans complaint

Because of all the upshift downshift complaints I think I would remove the governor first to verify it is not stuck .It is easy to do Just pop off the tin can on the left side of the case (drivers side) and turn the governor upside down so the gear faces up and shake it up and down to see if the valve that is inside it is free to move back and forth. If it is free then I would do an oil pressure test. .

#4 ·
I would tend to feel, like Paul does, that the problem is related to the governor, since it is a problem with down shifts. The upshifting alone, with no problem downshifting, would point me toward the valve body. I do have to agree that the valve body should have been cleaned when it was apart, along with flushing everything.

This is a common problem when people do their own transmission work. The average mechanically inclined person that decides to work on their own transmission does not do the small things that are needed. They are in a hurry to get it back in and see if it works. If a person rebuilds an engine, they are likely going to try to keep everything clean. Actually with an automatic transmission it is more important to keep it clean. That includes everywhere the fluid travels, like the valve body, convertor, and cooler.

I also do not believe in adding any "magic" fluids to the trans. They are designed to work with ATF only!

#6 ·
yea if i had a thousand extra i would have done that already unfortunatley i dont and if i did i wouldent be letting these people work on it id bring it somewhere out of town to someone who specializes in chevy tranny because the people around here act like they dont know sh*t from piss ....

#7 ·
I agree with the governor also, did you clean it?
Did you replace the converter?
Did you flush the cooler?
Did you clean (or even check) the governor thimble filter?
I believe I suggested a governor problem in one of the first posts, and now we're back to a governor problem again. Maybe the problem was never corrected during the rebuild or the garbage from the converter and cooler contaminated the new rebuild.
And BTW making a new post for every problem makes it very difficult to keep track of whats going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.