Tranny slips a little - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny slips a little

I have an 84 chevy pickup 4x4 350 and the governors cap on the tranny blew off on my way up interstate 5. I pulled over as quick as possible, maybe 1/4 mile or so. once we fixed it on the side of the road, it started to act up. The tranny wasnt getting all the power coming from the engine but the rpms were still the same. It wasnt catching the entire time we drove back and you could feel it slip. getting power for 30 seconds and then the truck angles down from the lack of torque for about a second. now i think i hear somthing bouncing around in the tranny but havnt determined it for sure. now i am going to rebuild it...any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

The governor fell out? Did you install the same piece?

You may need to re-visit the hasty governor install. They are specific to trans and application.

There is a plastic gear that could have stripped, a valve in the center that could have rocks in it, springs that may have fallen out, weights that could now be binding, a machined surface that could now be scored up.- To name a few.

How does a governor cap just blow off? Those things are ON THERE.

TH700R4?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K10PickemUpTruck
I have an 84 chevy pickup 4x4 350 and the governors cap on the tranny blew off on my way up interstate 5. I pulled over as quick as possible, maybe 1/4 mile or so. once we fixed it on the side of the road, it started to act up. The tranny wasnt getting all the power coming from the engine but the rpms were still the same. It wasnt catching the entire time we drove back and you could feel it slip. getting power for 30 seconds and then the truck angles down from the lack of torque for about a second. now i think i hear somthing bouncing around in the tranny but havnt determined it for sure. now i am going to rebuild it...any ideas?
did you fill the trans back up after reinstalling the governor? if you didnt, well then, you know why its slipping.
as far as governor covers coming off, it does happen, thats why theres retainer clips for the 350 or 700r4. when we see 1 that comes into the shop without 1, it gets siliconed in to make sure its in good and tight and doesnt come out.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM

to answer one, yes i did refill the transmission before leaving the scene or disaster. I guess it could be something that got in it but i dont know yet cuz we havnt dropped the tranny yet. As for the gear being stripped, when i pulled over and everything wasnt the temp of the sun, i removed the governor so that it wouldnt be lost and the gear was still intact and in good shape. from what i have found out, the person who did the rebuild on it last time obviously didnt put enough silicone because there was nothing on the cap and miniscule amount on the inside of the fitting. they must have used superglue or thought the press fit was enough to hold it. All i know is that ive been screwed. would anyone happen to know which tools are necessary to do a rebuild? possibly just to replace the clutch pack? I found a diff tranny but it just needs the clutch pack replaced. I certainly dont have the money to buy all the tools to do the job
Old 10-23-2009, 04:01 PM

and yes i believe it is a 700r4
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

700R4 Tool

One tool that is needed, Rear Clutch spring compressor > https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=63 hand tools, c-clamps etc. can be used for most other things.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4L60-700R4.html
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...arts_s/641.htm
https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.a...smission=700R4
Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K10PickemUpTruck
to answer one, yes i did refill the transmission before leaving the scene or disaster. I guess it could be something that got in it but i dont know yet cuz we havnt dropped the tranny yet. As for the gear being stripped, when i pulled over and everything wasnt the temp of the sun, i removed the governor so that it wouldnt be lost and the gear was still intact and in good shape. from what i have found out, the person who did the rebuild on it last time obviously didnt put enough silicone because there was nothing on the cap and miniscule amount on the inside of the fitting. they must have used superglue or thought the press fit was enough to hold it. All i know is that ive been screwed. would anyone happen to know which tools are necessary to do a rebuild? possibly just to replace the clutch pack? I found a diff tranny but it just needs the clutch pack replaced. I certainly dont have the money to buy all the tools to do the job
Um, silicone? You shouldn't need a DROP on these translators. The gov cap is a tight fit with a square cut o-ring for a seal. There are clips that can be used additionally as mentioned already.

Find a local, reputable, independent trans shop. They have all the tools.

Best of luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I use silicone on the governor covers. You need to be careful with the amount.

I have seen gov covers blown off
Old 10-24-2009, 11:23 PM

Well my cap doesnt have any place to have clips, that i can see would fit anywhere since my cap is round and doesnt have a lip to attach anything on. I dont know how they go on or anything but correct me if im wrong.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 PM

along the same topic...what else, other than the clutch pack, could burn up due to a throttle valve cable being adjusted wrong. The other tranny im looking to get supposedly has a burnt up clutch pack but I dont know if the guy is telling the truth. It could be messed up big time because he thought the clinking from under his truck was just a branch and continued to trash the tranny. (I have no idea what sound the tranny makes when the clutch is burnt up) I dont know if I should get the tranny because mine could actually be in better shape than this other guy's. although the other tranny does come with new clutch pack and the rest of a rebuild kit
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 AM

Last photo:

Band can also burn from TV cable misadjustment.
Gov clip, look at part 65 & 66, clip ends attach to case>> http://th350.netfirms.com/pages/back.jpg clamps the cover on like a Brake Master Cyl. cover.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

depending on the year of the t-700r4 / 4l60 transmittin case, the holes for the clip over the governor cover were deleted by GM.

GM used a adhesive to retain the round governor cover
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Something else I didn't know. Thanks Crosley.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.