tranny temp gauge - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cool, thanks Crossley. That's basically what my logic told me too but I just wanted to make 100% sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Very interesting thread and a lot of good suggestions. It has always been my opinion that the trans temp gauge sending unit should be in the line to the cooler. This will give you a direct indication what temperature the fluid is after doing work in the trans. This temp is what you are concerned with as if it gets too high the fluid will breakdown and loose it's lubricating properties. With the temp sampled off the pan you will not get the true picture of what the oil is seeing in the trans. By the time the oil in the pan is too hot the oil in the trans and converter is burnt.

I've never sampled the temp at the line pressure tap so I can't comment on that without looking at the curcuit diagrams.

Not really wanting to argue here, just my two cents.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the cooler "out" line from the tranny to the cooler is direct from the converter. This will give a false high temp reading. The tranny oil is not real hot long enough to damage anything. If something is wrong , then yes the temp wil continue on up and smoke the oil and the tranny

the cooler return line will give too low of a temp reading.

After the cooled fluid returns to the tranny it enters the lube circuit of the trans. The lube oil also cools the internal parts of the tranny and then falls to the pan.

In the pan is the best place for a temp reading since the oil has pulled some heat from the internal parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
Very interesting thread and a lot of good suggestions. It has always been my opinion that the trans temp gauge sending unit should be in the line to the cooler. This will give you a direct indication what temperature the fluid is after doing work in the trans. This temp is what you are concerned with as if it gets too high the fluid will breakdown and loose it's lubricating properties. With the temp sampled off the pan you will not get the true picture of what the oil is seeing in the trans. By the time the oil in the pan is too hot the oil in the trans and converter is burnt.

I've never sampled the temp at the line pressure tap so I can't comment on that without looking at the curcuit diagrams.

Not really wanting to argue here, just my two cents.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Crosley, I hear you and agree to some extent. But, by the time the trans fluid in the pan indicates too hot, the fluid in the line to the cooler has been burnt. It does not take very many trips through a hot transmission to ruin the oil.

I prefer to to see the highest temp in the curcuit. Besides, this is the oil that turns on the trans cooler fans.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

turning cooling fans on for the tranny cooler is something that must be addressed on how you have the system hooked up to cool.

Same for engine cooling system. Folks have all kinds of ideas for the location of the cooling fan sensor for an engine

After seeing various setups over the decades I'll stick to reading the temp in the tranny pan or main case.

Quote:
Crosley, I hear you and agree to some extent. But, by the time the trans fluid in the pan indicates too hot, the fluid in the line to the cooler has been burnt. It does not take very many trips through a hot transmission to ruin the oil.

I prefer to to see the highest temp in the curcuit. Besides, this is the oil that turns on the trans cooler fans.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
turning cooling fans on for the tranny cooler is something that must be addressed on how you have the system hooked up to cool.

Same for engine cooling system. Folks have all kinds of ideas for the location of the cooling fan sensor for an engine

After seeing various setups over the decades I'll stick to reading the temp in the tranny pan or main case.
Yes, what works good for you and what you feel comfortable is the way to go. In looking at the circuit diagrams for the 700R4 it appears the line pressure tap would give a reading about equivalent to the pan temp reading would be as the line pressure tap is right off the pump it looks like.

I have plans to put the trans cooler in the bed of the S10. It is a B&M cooler with an electric fan. It has a sensor in the inlet side that controls the fan. We cut a hole in the inside bed panel and I'm hoping that will provide enough air. If not I'll have to go to plan "B". BTW, I haven't figured out plan "B" yet.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I am familar with the operation of a 700. I've built them professionally for over 2 decades . Still build them and other trannys for a living ( such as it is...LOL)

Quote:
Yes, what works good for you and what you feel comfortable is the way to go. In looking at the circuit diagrams for the 700R4 it appears the line pressure tap would give a reading about equivalent to the pan temp reading would be as the line pressure tap is right off the pump it looks like.

I have plans to put the trans cooler in the bed of the S10. It is a B&M cooler with an electric fan. It has a sensor in the inlet side that controls the fan. We cut a hole in the inside bed panel and I'm hoping that will provide enough air. If not I'll have to go to plan "B". BTW, I haven't figured out plan "B" yet.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

My hat goes off to you then as I've only rebuilt one and I'm not sure it will work correctly. I have rebuilt many 350s and 400s, a few C4s and C6s. But I must say the 700 was the biggest mess I've ever been into.

Not knowing any better, I started with a 1983 model out of a diesel. Then I read what all must be done to update the older ones. I wish now I'd just got one from TCI or B&M. It was a good learning experience though, just hope it works.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:22 PM

i ended up putting the sender in the test port..

I put the sender in the pressure test port. After driving for a few miles the temp gets up to 150-160 range..

I took the truck to the drags and the first pass I went a 13.08..
not what I was looking for but the truck left the line like a turd.
My stock camaro would leave harder than my s-10 does now..

THanks for all advice...
Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevystang
I put the sender in the pressure test port. After driving for a few miles the temp gets up to 150-160 range..

I took the truck to the drags and the first pass I went a 13.08..
not what I was looking for but the truck left the line like a turd.
My stock camaro would leave harder than my s-10 does now..

THanks for all advice...
Did you notice if the trans temp rose much after the run?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:03 AM

no, I didn't look at the tranny temp after the run. I will next time I take the truck (s-10) out..
are you jsut curious of the temp or are you thinkings something may be wrong and make it slip...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevystang
no, I didn't look at the tranny temp after the run. I will next time I take the truck (s-10) out..
are you jsut curious of the temp or are you thinkings something may be wrong and make it slip...
Just curious about the temp.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.