Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Trans Am starting issues (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/trans-am-starting-issues-218439.html)

sideshowbh 04-21-2012 08:42 PM

Trans Am starting issues

I have a '77 Trans Am with the 6.6 Litre engine. The problem I am experiencing is after it sits a while ( usually weeks ) and the battery goes dead, after charging it with a battery charger, It wont start. It gets no fire to the plugs. After unplugging the hot wire to the distributor cap for 10 or 15 seconds, and plugging it back in, It fires right up. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks, Bob.

g&s restorod 04-21-2012 08:52 PM

starting issues

your resetting the ignition module. 2 options.....install a disconnect on bat hot lead or keep trickle charger on bat. i use a solar charger. :cool:

sideshowbh 04-21-2012 08:58 PM

Thanks GS. I am thinking of using a solar charger. It usally stays parked for weeks at a time.

S10 Racer 04-21-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sideshowbh
I have a '77 Trans Am with the 6.6 Litre engine. The problem I am experiencing is after it sits a while ( usually weeks ) and the battery goes dead, after charging it with a battery charger, It wont start. It gets no fire to the plugs. After unplugging the hot wire to the distributor cap for 10 or 15 seconds, and plugging it back in, It fires right up. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks, Bob.

Unless you have something draining the battery (stereo, amp, etc.) or the battery is getting old, it should not discharge while setting. You need to find out what is draining the battery.

g&s restorod 04-22-2012 06:31 AM

Drain

unless you have a ton of time it is almost impossible to find the small drain on the battery on these cars, I have owned 5 of these and had the exact same problem on all of them. I am pretty sure it is in the ignition ckt somewhere but the wiring is so ponderous on these cars it is very hard to deal with, solar charger much easier. :pimp:

T-bucket23 04-22-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Unless you have something draining the battery (stereo, amp, etc.) or the battery is getting old, it should not discharge while setting. You need to find out what is draining the battery.

This is the right answer. With the right tools if there is a draw you should be able to pin it down is short order. Its not hard you just need to be methodical. I good quality amp meter is the key to locating this type of issue.

g&s restorod 04-22-2012 05:09 PM

you would think

Its not that simple,,, there is no amp draw for 3-4 days on these cars but for some reason if you don't start it the module grounds out and drains the battery.. It is a mystery to me and it only happens in factory 6,6 Pontiac.
I suppose you could try a pertronics unit but it may be something else or a combination of things. If it were just a simple continuous drain it would be easy to find. I spent my whole life fixing complicated electronic and electromechanical equipment and never did figure this one out. spoke to many mechanics who told me the same thing. When I moved the motor to another body (firebird) the problem stopped...????? :pain: All 5 of my 6.6 ta did this.