trans cooler lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trans cooler lines

hey guys, I was walkin through the hardware store yesterday and came across some stainless steel braided lines, 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8, with pressure fittings on the ends in rolls from 5ft all the way to 20ft. They are rated for 250* F temp and 300PSI, but they are actually for dishwasher's.
The more I looked and thought about it, I had to see If I'd even to be able to seal the pressure fittings and reduce the threads down and make it have male ends instead of female. This was easily accomplished with some pipe thread and some other stuff.. They are selling these lines for $10 for a 5 ft line with the fittings. I am gonna give them a try and see how they work. If they can really handle what they are rated at, they should work just fine, plus I like the look. All my other lines are braid SS except the tranny's.

For 2 lines I'm saving about 30 bucks for lines of the same rating at the auto parts store. What do you guys think?? Will it work OK, or will I be sorry???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Well, you know the liner in the hose is compatible with hot water. The question is, is it compatible with hot transmission fluid?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Haha that's funny you posted this because guess what I just did last weekend, switched up my tranny cooler lines for 2 3/8" dishwasher stainless steel lines I found at rona. I ran it once last weekend with them on there and no leaks and no problems. You should be A ok!!

(my lines cost $25 each and were about 5 feet as well!!)
Old 10-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

pricey

WOW, $25 each, thats kinda high compared to these. I hope its not a sign of the quality of these lines. Oh well, only one way to find out!!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

I have the braided lines on my washer and my toilets too. The only thing I have seen with them is that the braid is not of the same quality as say and Aeroquip or Earls, they have some rust spots on them. Other than that I figure they should work fine for your application.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Bench racer

Last photo:

"What do you guys think?? Will it work OK, or will I be sorry???"

I think you'll be sorry...eventually. As Tech said, there's a difference between hot water and transmission fluid. If it makes you feel any better I'm sure when the core deteriorates and fails it'll be in your driveway on a bright, warm, sunny day
Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGTA
"What do you guys think?? Will it work OK, or will I be sorry???"

I think you'll be sorry...eventually. As Tech said, there's a difference between hot water and transmission fluid. If it makes you feel any better I'm sure when the core deteriorates and fails it'll be in your driveway on a bright, warm, sunny day
Or, the rubber deteriorates and gums up your transmission? $$$
Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

OK here's my secret trick.
IF you are only interested in replacing the rubber lines that connect the steel to the radiator, and you want pretty braided lines.......

Go to your friendly neighborhood airplane shop and get the old lines they take off at mandatory 10 year replacement intervals. These are usually covered with orange heat sleeve that can be easily removed.
The AN fittings are 37* but can be attached to the 45* on low pressure lines with no problems.... or you can change the fittings to match the braided 37* lines.
Aircraft lines RARELY deteriorate.

These lines are extremely expensive new because they are aircraft grade insides with stainless braid..... but FREE if you get them out of the dumpster, or your friendly A&P will save them for you.

I know people who use them for fuel lines and brake lines..... but I don't trust them for brakes.

Oh, by the way, the heat sleeve is removable, and it sells for $3 a foot in Jegs/Summit,,,, used on spark plug wires to stop melting by your headers.

I have about 100 lines saved, from 1/4 inch to 5/8 inch diameter, running from 8" to 36" long. FREE.

sssssshhhhhhh, it's a secret

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.