Trans cooler lines which is which - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 04:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
My new daily driver vehicles I leave alone. I just drive them , change oil now and then if I remember.
My 2000 Impala has a setting for (oil life monitoring) among many other things that are making newer vehicles more and more idiot resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketeer
The lower line from the TH350, 400, or powerglide tranny is out. This line runs to the lower rad fitting. The upper connection then runs back to the upper tranny connection.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
According to B&M. This is how I did mine.

The lower line from the TH350, 400, or powerglide tranny is out.
Also on a 4l60e if anyone wants to know.

Quote:
If you live in a warm climate the use of the rad cooler is "not" recommended.
I would think that is a typo error, correct?

Now you all have me worried. In my 96 trans am, I have the fluid going through the heat exchanger in the radiator first, then through a 10" x 10" cooler in front of the condenser, then through an 11" x 9" cooler {modified 1996 Chevy 3500 diesel oil cooler} in front of the DS fenderwell with a fan controlled by a 180 deg. fluid temp switch.
This arrangement has served well in keeping the fluid temp down for the last ~5 months in the hot Miss. summer weather with a 3k stall, but I haven't run it in the winter yet.
There have been a few cold nights so far though lately and according to my trans fluid temp gauge, fluid heats up to only ~140 deg. on the highway going to work {night shift}.
If I leave the coolers as they are, what damage will I do?
Am I going to screw up something from lack of,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
and allows the fluid to lubricate and well as make pressure.
I agree with the lube part, but seems to me like it will make pressure fine.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Quote:
Quote:
If you live in a warm climate the use of the rad cooler is "not" recommended.

I would think that is a typo error, correct?
No, what they are referring to is winter driving. If the temp drops anywhere close to 0. The rad cooler actually heats up the fluid. If you do not drive the car in winter or live in a climate where the temp does not drop near freezing. You do not need to use the rad cooler, just the aux cooler.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
No, what they are referring to is winter driving. If the temp drops anywhere close to 0. The rad cooler actually heats up the fluid. If you do not drive the car in winter or live in a climate where the temp does not drop near freezing. You do not need to use the rad cooler, just the aux cooler.
Ahh. I am really slow tonight. 'Rad cooler' not 'aux cooler'.
I'll try to pay attention a little better from now on.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 PM

I took one ( trans cooler) off a Crown Vic police car in the junk yard a few weeks ago, It was on the return line, It being a police car and as hard as they are driven, I would guess thats the best place for them.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 PM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

Always on the return line. No sense cooling off the fluid and then heating up again with 200 deg water.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

I bypass my radiator all together straight into the cooler mounted between the radiator and fan
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

line orientation makes no difference...here is another set up to ponder , I run a 3200 ,10.5 stall converter, the trans is plumbed to a large (13000btu) B&M cooler with a total by-pass of the radiator. I am fortunate to have the cooler in front of the radiator, 34's have a nice sloping grill that leaves plenty of room for this. I prefer to isolate the two systems, why? not sure , just seems that useing an external cooler and useing the radiator seems to be an oxymoron, two different heat exchangers doing the same job both having different operating parameters would be some how a conflict.............. different strokes as they say ... ...

Last edited by pepi; 12-31-2005 at 01:13 AM. Reason: point change/miss spell
Old 12-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Hayden......one of the largest and better known transmssion cooler makers says to run the coolers this way...

That's the way I run mine.....except I have the cooler mounted along the frame rail....not in front of my DEUCE radiator shell....

Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Hayden......one of the largest and better known transmission cooler makers says to run the coolers this way...

That's the way I run mine.....except I have the cooler mounted along the frame rail....not in front of my DEUCE radiator shell....
As far as I was taught in tech, this is the correct way (in Alberta and Sask, anyway). The rad will warm the fluid in the winter, and the coolers I use have a temperature control built in, weather it is a thermostat, or simply a couple larger tubes for the cold, thick oil to pass through. The fluid passes relatively quickly through these larger ones, so little or no additional cooling occurs. As the fluid temperature reaches the point that increased cooling is required, the now less viscous fluid will pass through the many smaller diameter tubes, and extra cooling occurs. In the summer, while not as hot as AZ, the fluid is nearly as hot as the engine coolant, so the greater differential is at the auxiliary cooler, and it does the lions share.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:09 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

i put my cooler on after the rad., dropped my engine operating temp 5 degrees. if it dropped the engine temp, its a fair bet thet the trans is running cooler too...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:49 AM
489 Lemans

Last photo:

I would disagree. The engine is running cooler because the tranny cooler was blocking air flow to the rad. Now the tranny cooler is picking up heat from the rad causing the tranny to run hotter. Even though the engine is running 5 degrees cooler. The tranny cooler is now picking up 180 degree cooling air from the rad. It was getting 70 degree ambient cooling air from in front of the rad.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

"H" - Fitting

I'm also an Alberta resident, and I am back working at a Ford dealership again.

When I worked for Ford in the mid-80's I recall that they were concerned with fluid viscosity in cold climates. Apparently very thick fluid was causing starvation / cavitation (?) precipitating in transmission failures.

Thier "fix" was to install an "H" fitting in the cooler lines fairly close to the transmission. If the fluid was too thick, it would take the path of least resistance (thru the middle of the "H") and bypass the cooler altogether.

As the fluid warmed to operating temperature (at both ends) it would thin out and flow straight thru the "H" ... again taking the path of least resitance. The theory makes sense to me and I applaud them for coming up with something simple and effective.

I'd have to check the part number when I get back to work, but I think the ford basic# is 7G118. (E3TZ-7G118-A?)

On second thought ... that basic# is likely 7H322

Last edited by 66GMC; 12-31-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC

As the fluid warmed to operating temperature (at both ends) it would thin out and flow straight thru the "H" ... again taking the path of least resitance.
I'm certainly no engineer but:
Seems to me that, after up to operating temp the the path of least resistance may still be across the H, regardless of two 90 degree turns, since the fluid foward of that point that is returning from the cooler is just that; 'cooler', therefore a thicker viscosity. That would mean the thinner fluid leaving the tranny would create a condition of a greater percentage of the hot fluid bieng returned back to the tranny {uncooled}. Also there is the factor of a much less distance accross the H and not needing to overcome resistance created via pumping through the flews of the cooler.
I could see it being a good idea if there was a manual thermal check valve in the cross feed line that was normally open per colder temp.
I don't foresee needing to make a modification like that here in Mississippi, but I can see where it would be an excellent system to help prevent thick fluid cavitation problems up there where you guys see some really cold temps.
If you can, when you check on that #7H322, see if you can find a schematic to look at to make sure they did not install a check valve in the cross-feed line.
Thanks for some valuable info 66GMC.

EDIT:
BTW; I see YOUR PASSENGER listens well, "Get in, sit down, hang on". LOL

Last edited by mike 96 ws6; 12-31-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Well, I've done a little more research from home on this.

http://www.fahringer.net/x/4r100disasm.htm
Have a look at item #122.

It appears that the technology may have changed SLIGHTLY on this, but I'm fairly convinced that 7H322 is the right "basic" number...

Ford now calls this a "CBV" (Ford has acronyms for everything )
CBV = Coolant Bypass "Valve" ... which implies what you are thinking about.
It appears to be a tube attached directly to the transmission case, and mounted using banjo fittings.

The old "H" fitting that I mentioned previously sure didn't look like it had any type of check-valve or restrictor at all, but I may be wrong in assuming that.

I couldn't find anything on my Ford (Dealer Only) website, but this TSB may be relevant and contain the part number if you can dig it up somewhere.

Quote:

Service Bulletin Number: 83-18-9
Bulletin Sequence Number: 023
Date of Bulletin: 8309
NHTSA Item Number: 70923
Make: LINCOLN
Model: MARK VII
Year: 1984
Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:COOLING UNIT AND LINES
Summary: TRANSMISSION-AUTOMATIC-ALL-AUXILIARY COOLER BYPASS FITTING ("H" FITTING)-(C- 3, C-5, OR AOD MODEL TRANSMISSION)-PROCEDURES FOR CHECKING/CLEANING COOLER LINE AND COOLER IN 1984 MODEL LINCOLN, MARK VII AND CONTINENTAL
Perhaps Fitzwell or XNTRIK or Max Keith... anyone with a lot of Ford knowledge will jump in on this thread and confirm or deny the PN and how it works.

And yeah ... the "Hang On" picture in my Avatar is priceless.
A friend had sent me an e-mail entitled "You know you're driving too fast when..." followed by the pic. I sent a request to Jon to use it as my Avatar.
Don

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.