Hot Rod Forum banner

Trans cooler lines leaking...

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JJLT1 
#1 ·
OK, here is an annoying little problem I hope you can help me with:
From my 700R4, I use OEM hard lines, and then I use rubber lines to get to the rad and auxiliary cooler (nothing special here!).
As I have always done, I slip a bit of the rubber hose over the hard line and use a clamp to hold them together: on all my other cars, it has worked just fine.
Except that on my truck, trans fluid keeps leaking at that connection: I have even over an inch of rubber over the hard line and 2 clamps, but it has not done anything, it just leaks, you can see the drops, regularly.
Anyone has a trick to solve that? I had the same set up on all my other cars, and never a leak before!
Thanks!

#3 ·
Did you cut off the threaded end off the hard line ? I did away with the radiator cooling lines. I just cut the lines from my tranny to be only 12 inches long. I then straightened them to fit past my pipes. I then had ends farrowed larger. Then when my hoses to the tube cooler is attached, they make a better seal. I use small full wrap around hose clamps. If you don't farrow the ends, pressure will push those hoses off those lines some time down the road.

#5 · (Edited)
If you have access to a flaring tool then put just a small flair in the end of the line. Slide your heavy duty clamp and presto no more leak and no more possibility of the hose blowing off the line from pressure.

If you have a flaring tool that does bubble flairs use that it works great.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.