Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Trans cooler location
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

this is a timely post, I just went over my cooling configuration to solve a problem. What I learned is this, if the cooler must be in the radiator area you would have a better functioning system by keeping the cooled as far from the radiator 6inches or so. Up close and the coolers fins are so dense they will restrict the air flow through radiator. To give you some prospective here are the measurements I am dealing with. The radiator front face presented to ambient air is 18 X 18 ans the cooler is aprox ( guessing a little ) 11 X 8, so you can see this would have a impact on the air flow through the radiator coils. Now I do not know what car you have over there and you just might have a large enough radiator to pull off a tight spacing and have it work out, but check the size of the cooler and notice the proportions of cooler to radiator coil area, if cooler is large like mine keep the cooler out from the coils... Coolings most important function is at idle............just one other item to add the fan from radiator distance should come in at 1 inch, I have read 2 to 4 inches, speedway motors but have discovered that 1 inch is better, resource was flex o lite, the fan is belt driven, can not stand the electrics they sound terrible......... but that is just me and only applies to my car...