Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Trans fluid flush
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Getting ready to install my new transmission lines from my brand new built 2004R trans and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use compressed air and purge the old fluid out of the cooler in the radiator. Thoughts?
There used to be an areosol product that could be connected to one end of the cooler line and was designed to flush the crud and such out of the cooler lines and cooler itself. I don't have the name but remember seeing once in a parts store. If you're interested you can check locally to see if it's still available.

You could also use lacquer thinner, acetone, carb spray, etc. to flush the lines, providing you have compressed air to rid the lines of any residue. Obviously, clamping a length of transmission hose to the end of the line to bring the end up higher than the lines will be needed to get the solvent into the lines before blowing it through them.

Be careful if you do this- you are in essence creating a fuel/air bomb. You have to be away from ANY source of ignition, including static. Engine off, battery disconnected. Outside in the open air. No pets, wives or kids you care about around under foot. Run the outlet end of the lines into a container that has a rag loosely over the opening to keep the vapors from billowing out.