Trans howling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 07:31 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Trans howling

I have been messing around with my '89 Audi 80 for some time trying to get it just right. Although I am almost there, it seems as if a new issue has cropped up.

This is the standard 2.0 FWD 3-speed combo. The trans was replaced a ways back and now has appx. 2,000 miles on it.

I am getting an extremely loud howling noise out of it upon load. When I accelerate or hold a steady spead she howls like a banshee, upon letting off the pedal it goes away...you can hear the gears load and unload somewhat like a granny gear in an old Ford.

Trans fluid looks good as well as diff fluid, and considering the expense that I put into this thing (I paid to have a shop supply a rebuilt)...what do you guys think?

I assume I will be pulling the trans, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts...I am PO'd about tearing into a 2k trans with this low of miles.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 12:42 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

probably in the differential side.How far back was it replaced? with that few of miles I would be looking into warranty?!?!Brian
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0605
probably in the differential side.How far back was it replaced? with that few of miles I would be looking into warranty?!?!Brian
I will try to give a condensed version of the story.

I hired a top end import shop to replace the trans as the diff seal went out allowing gear oil to get sucked up into the trans...which quickly fried it.

The shop was supplied a trans from a rebuild shop that was supposed to have excellent reputation for in-house rebuilds.

Well, the trans was junk from day one...wouldn't shift out of first for like 2 miles, slipped in reverse, etc... The rebuild shop handled the warranty and kept changing fluid / filter while telling me "the trans filter was plugged, should be good to go". They did this multiple times.

I spent almost a year fighting with them over this, and they tried to blame the labor shop who I knew was not responsible. In the end, I managed to get a new trans and have the labor shop install it all free of charge.

The new trans started howling roughly two weeks after the warranty ran out...just my luck.

Needless to say I have been PO'd at the car and have been fiddling with it now and ten over the past few years. New engine, body work, etc...

Now I want to give it to my son to drive as he just started drivers training. So...

BTW, the labor shop quit doing business with the rebuild shop. The rebuild shop is also a large supplier of used parts, and I have to have others pick them up for me as they never wish to see me again.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Oh, its in the differential side allright...a friend of mine suggested putting Lucas treatment in it. Any thoughts? I was never to keen on these types of products.

Cork would probably do the trick also
Old 03-28-2007, 06:47 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

I am a big supporter of LUCAS. I put it in my wifes 98 GMC Safari rearend it was making noise, not a lot mind you, but some.It helped quiet it down. Before I put any more money into it I would fill it up with Lucas and let your son finish it on off. If it survives Great, if not I would probably see about cutting my losses. Because unless there is sentimental value for the car it's actual value is only 1500$ if every thing on the car is perfect. I just ran it through kelly blue book. With the rest of the car in excellent shape and needs trans it's value was about 900$. Well good luck. Brian
Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am a big supporter of LUCAS. I put it in my wifes 98 GMC Safari rearend it was making noise, not a lot mind you, but some.It helped quiet it down. Before I put any more money into it I would fill it up with Lucas and let your son finish it on off. If it survives Great, if not I would probably see about cutting my losses. Because unless there is sentimental value for the car it's actual value is only 1500$ if every thing on the car is perfect. I just ran it through kelly blue book. With the rest of the car in excellent shape and needs trans it's value was about 900$. Well good luck. Brian
Yes, I am well aware of the bluebook value of the car, which is exactly why I am not taking it into a shop. I will try some Lucas and see if it quiets things down...if not I will pull it apart myself and fix it.

Yeah, the car does have some sentimental value for me.

Plus, with the amount of dollars already into it I am kind of married to it now!

Do you know anything special about these particular trans-axles? I couldn't tell you the model number offhand, but it is a 3-speed auto FWD only - 1989.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:28 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

I'm not that familiar with the audi product. I had a friend that had a very similar problem to what you are describing in a 98 chevy venture. He was able to replace the diff and put it back in. Do you think you might find one in the junk yard and buy it and just use the diff?? The rest of the trans sounds like it's working ok. Brian
Old 03-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

The only car like mine that I know of in this area is a manual, which I don't know if the diff is compatable...worth checking into I suppose.

The other option is getting a used unit from the morons that rebuilt the trans in the first place...and I think you can figure out how I feel about that!

Other than those two sources, things are pretty slim in this area.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

"The other option is getting a used unit from the morons that rebuilt the trans in the first place" Come on tell us how you really feel!! stop sugar coating it!! LOL. Have you looked on e-bay or see if there is club for those cars online that might have what you need. Brian
Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
"The other option is getting a used unit from the morons that rebuilt the trans in the first place" Come on tell us how you really feel!! stop sugar coating it!! LOL. Have you looked on e-bay or see if there is club for those cars online that might have what you need. Brian
If I was to state directly how I feel about that, I would be banned for life from this board.

I check E-bay now and again and have yet to come across anything.

I will try Lucas, worst case I pull the trans and tear it down. Word is these are pretty simple to work on and there is a guy by me that is supposed to be real good with these cars...so we'll see what happens.

The trans is evidently an Audi 087 or 089...the VW version sits transverse in the car where mine does not, so I don't know how much is compatable between the two. I did find a master trans overhaul kit for $185...so pricing may not be all that bad either.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Good to here the parts aren't toooo expensive. I was always told AUDI was french for "Open your wallet sucker" well let me know how the lucas does. you can run it 100% in place of the gear oil. Brian

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.