Hot Rod Forum banner

trans kick down linkage help 700r4

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  39chevy 
#1 · (Edited)
I am swapping out the qjet and stock manifold for an Edelbrock Performer manifold and carb on my little brother's truck.

I talked to Edelbrock and they said that I need to get some adapter from Overdrive bowties or something like that. He said if I don't get this adapter that we will burn up the overdrive tranny in about five minutes???

I said, "do you have the part"? He said, "no, we don't offerf that".

Ok, well I saw a tranny kickdown adaptor at the performance shop today made by Edelbrock.....so what gives??

Anyone done this swap with a 700r4? It is a 84 chevy short box with a 305.

Thank you.

#2 ·
What they are suggesting is a bracket that corrects the angle of pull on the TV cable for the 700r4 tranny.

Bowtie overdrives sells a high zoot very adjustable unit.

Summit also sells a detent bracket that bolts onto the carb that corrects the pull angles and travel of the cable pull.

The cable on the 700r4 is not a kick down cable , it is a TV cable. The Throttle Valve cable tells the tranny when , what , how to shift with main line pressure control

#3 ·
Hey Crosley, I just installed one of the Lokar 700R4 TV cables on my 34. I have a Holley street avenger carb. Holley told me the street avenger carb has the right geometry for the 700R4. The Lokar instructions say to just open the throttle all the way and pull the TV cable tight and cinch it down. Check WOT to make sure there is no slack in the cable. Is that enough?

I checked the distance from the center of rotation of the throttle to the attachment point of the TV cable and compared it with my 90 Truck with a 700R4 and they are the same distance.

Vince

#4 ·
This guy has a good deal of information on the geometry for a proper ratio of the throttle cable to the TV cable. I simply cut the end off of a throttle shaft on a junk throttlebody fuel injection, and attached it to the end of the shaft on my Edelbrock 4 bbl. I have had very good luck with this tranny, but be sure you get the TV cable right or you will burn it up!!

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

:thumbup:

#5 ·
302/Z28 said:
Hey Crosley, I just installed one of the Lokar 700R4 TV cables on my 34. I have a Holley street avenger carb. Holley told me the street avenger carb has the right geometry for the 700R4. The Lokar instructions say to just open the throttle all the way and pull the TV cable tight and cinch it down. Check WOT to make sure there is no slack in the cable. Is that enough?

I checked the distance from the center of rotation of the throttle to the attachment point of the TV cable and compared it with my 90 Truck with a 700R4 and they are the same distance.

Vince

=========== full pull of the tranny's TV cable at WOT is the place to set the cable at.

#7 ·
tv info

Great guys I also have a street avenger carb and my lokar shifter, (tv cable) comes with a bracket to attach and I am setting mine up the same way WOT. BUT I lost my bolt to attach my tv cable bracket (on the trans) and I don't know what size thread it is, I guess I will ask Bowtie Overdrives tomorrow!!!

#9 ·
On a side note, I pulled the quadrajet and lowered the float and cleaned up the carb in hopes we could avoid buying a new carb and intake right now. I also disconnected all the vacuum lines and plugged them off as there were some broken fittings and things I don't want to deal with right now.

Well, the truck runs ten times better now but when I took it for a test drive it didn't want to shift out of first gear, when it finally did it SLAMMED into the next gear.

I looked at the linkage and my little brother (15 soon to be 16 y.o.) forgot to hook up the tv cable. DOH!!!

I hooked it up and it's running GREAT now!!!!

#10 ·
==== that is what is known as the "fail safe " mode in a 700/4L60 tranny...... IF the fail safe check ball is in the valve body.

The trany thinks you have the throttle WIDE open IF the TV cable is not set at the minimum setting to dislodge the fail safe check ball.

===== class is dismissed... LOL

69elcaminoss said:
On a side note, I pulled the quadrajet and lowered the float and cleaned up the carb in hopes we could avoid buying a new carb and intake right now. I also disconnected all the vacuum lines and plugged them off as there were some broken fittings and things I don't want to deal with right now.

Well, the truck runs ten times better now but when I took it for a test drive it didn't want to shift out of first gear, when it finally did it SLAMMED into the next gear.

I looked at the linkage and my little brother (15 soon to be 16 y.o.) forgot to hook up the tv cable. DOH!!!

I hooked it up and it's running GREAT now!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.