trans kick down linkage help 700r4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 01:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trans kick down linkage help 700r4

I am swapping out the qjet and stock manifold for an Edelbrock Performer manifold and carb on my little brother's truck.

I talked to Edelbrock and they said that I need to get some adapter from Overdrive bowties or something like that. He said if I don't get this adapter that we will burn up the overdrive tranny in about five minutes???

I said, "do you have the part"? He said, "no, we don't offerf that".

Ok, well I saw a tranny kickdown adaptor at the performance shop today made by Edelbrock.....so what gives??

Anyone done this swap with a 700r4? It is a 84 chevy short box with a 305.

Thank you.

Advertisement

Last edited by 69elcaminoss; 04-11-2004 at 01:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

What they are suggesting is a bracket that corrects the angle of pull on the TV cable for the 700r4 tranny.

Bowtie overdrives sells a high zoot very adjustable unit.

Summit also sells a detent bracket that bolts onto the carb that corrects the pull angles and travel of the cable pull.

The cable on the 700r4 is not a kick down cable , it is a TV cable. The Throttle Valve cable tells the tranny when , what , how to shift with main line pressure control
Old 04-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Last photo:

Hey Crosley, I just installed one of the Lokar 700R4 TV cables on my 34. I have a Holley street avenger carb. Holley told me the street avenger carb has the right geometry for the 700R4. The Lokar instructions say to just open the throttle all the way and pull the TV cable tight and cinch it down. Check WOT to make sure there is no slack in the cable. Is that enough?

I checked the distance from the center of rotation of the throttle to the attachment point of the TV cable and compared it with my 90 Truck with a 700R4 and they are the same distance.

Vince
Old 04-12-2004, 02:56 PM

Last journal entry: Red, my second T--Bucket
Last photo:

This guy has a good deal of information on the geometry for a proper ratio of the throttle cable to the TV cable. I simply cut the end off of a throttle shaft on a junk throttlebody fuel injection, and attached it to the end of the shaft on my Edelbrock 4 bbl. I have had very good luck with this tranny, but be sure you get the TV cable right or you will burn it up!!

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...o/700R4p1.html

Old 04-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
Hey Crosley, I just installed one of the Lokar 700R4 TV cables on my 34. I have a Holley street avenger carb. Holley told me the street avenger carb has the right geometry for the 700R4. The Lokar instructions say to just open the throttle all the way and pull the TV cable tight and cinch it down. Check WOT to make sure there is no slack in the cable. Is that enough?

I checked the distance from the center of rotation of the throttle to the attachment point of the TV cable and compared it with my 90 Truck with a 700R4 and they are the same distance.

Vince

=========== full pull of the tranny's TV cable at WOT is the place to set the cable at.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Crosley
=========== full pull of the tranny's TV cable at WOT is the place to set the cable at.
That's where I'm at

Thanks Crosley
Vince
Old 04-14-2004, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

tv info

Great guys I also have a street avenger carb and my lokar shifter, (tv cable) comes with a bracket to attach and I am setting mine up the same way WOT. BUT I lost my bolt to attach my tv cable bracket (on the trans) and I don't know what size thread it is, I guess I will ask Bowtie Overdrives tomorrow!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Last photo:

I think it's metric, the bolt head size is 10mm. I have the original bolt from the original cable if you want it. PM me with your snail mail address and I will be happy to send it to you.

Vince
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

On a side note, I pulled the quadrajet and lowered the float and cleaned up the carb in hopes we could avoid buying a new carb and intake right now. I also disconnected all the vacuum lines and plugged them off as there were some broken fittings and things I don't want to deal with right now.

Well, the truck runs ten times better now but when I took it for a test drive it didn't want to shift out of first gear, when it finally did it SLAMMED into the next gear.

I looked at the linkage and my little brother (15 soon to be 16 y.o.) forgot to hook up the tv cable. DOH!!!

I hooked it up and it's running GREAT now!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

==== that is what is known as the "fail safe " mode in a 700/4L60 tranny...... IF the fail safe check ball is in the valve body.

The trany thinks you have the throttle WIDE open IF the TV cable is not set at the minimum setting to dislodge the fail safe check ball.

===== class is dismissed... LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by 69elcaminoss
On a side note, I pulled the quadrajet and lowered the float and cleaned up the carb in hopes we could avoid buying a new carb and intake right now. I also disconnected all the vacuum lines and plugged them off as there were some broken fittings and things I don't want to deal with right now.

Well, the truck runs ten times better now but when I took it for a test drive it didn't want to shift out of first gear, when it finally did it SLAMMED into the next gear.

I looked at the linkage and my little brother (15 soon to be 16 y.o.) forgot to hook up the tv cable. DOH!!!

I hooked it up and it's running GREAT now!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Vince, I appreciate it but I found it this morning, in my front shirt pocket, Duh, oh well at least it's taken care of, thanks again, Dana

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.