trans leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006, 08:06 AM
My car took all my money

Wiki Edits: 0

trans leak

just to rehash; i put a turbo 350 in a mid 80's camaro daily driver, because the 700r4 burned up. i put a new front seal in it and a pan gasket and now its leaking really bad like 2 quarts in less than 24 hours. and only when the car is not running. if the cars on it wont leak but off it leaks everytime. any ideas cause trans fluid is starting to get expensive and i get a discount on it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

when you installed the pan gasket, did you tighten it all the way down? or just till it moved a little? using silicone? cork or rubber gasket? i struggled with many a trans pan gaskets and finally wound up taking it to a trans shop and had them do it for me. hasn't leaked since. i wish felpro would make a polyurethane gasket with the anti-crush metal inserts for T350. i'd definitely buy one.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:18 AM
My car took all my money

cork gasket, no silicone, all the way down and this is my first trans project( kinda, i do trans services at saturn but they're pretty idiot proof) so i really wasnt sure how far to go.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

how far did the gasket push out? from what i was told the gasket should move/pushout just a hair then you stop. but it has never worked out like that for me.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:29 AM
My car took all my money

i dont really recall the gasket pushing out but i have to check cause i need the car thanks for the tip .
Old 12-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

as the trans sits the converter will drain back into the trans pan........ anything above the pan rail can leak oil.

The filler tube

the detent cable

the shifter linkage

the speed-O bullet/housing

Around the pump to case seals and gasket
Old 12-26-2006, 09:21 PM
My car took all my money

well i (with some help) seem to have figured it out. one of the bolts was too small and the way the gasket is designed the bolt holes are tight, so the bolt felt like it was tightening up but wasn't, i fixed it this afternoon and it hasn't leaked yet, but it may later(knock on wood).
Old 12-27-2006, 05:55 PM
My car took all my money

it did leak later. i was supervised by my auto tech teacher at school, who told me that it didn't need a kickdown cable so it doesn't have one. think that might be the leak? i sure do. gotta get a kickdown cable and install that adjustable modulator.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue85350
it did leak later. i was supervised by my auto tech teacher at school, who told me that it didn't need a kickdown cable so it doesn't have one. think that might be the leak? i sure do. gotta get a kickdown cable and install that adjustable modulator.
If there is no detent cable ..... is there an open hole there?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM
My car took all my money

apparently, my little brother was looking at it when i came home from work, ticked off that it drained 2 qts. in a day, and came in to tell me that. yeah open hole(sorry if i sound like an ***, but i'm on my second case of trans fluid in the last 2 weeks) anyway thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions
Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
i find that very interesting... teaching auto tech and giving advise... what is his background? is he ASE certified? there are some really good auto shop teachers, but it all depends on their background.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
apparently, my little brother was looking at it when i came home from work, ticked off that it drained 2 qts. in a day, and came in to tell me that. yeah open hole(sorry if i sound like an ***, but i'm on my second case of trans fluid in the last 2 weeks) anyway thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions
It is interesting on how the instructor tells you the cable is unneeded , so you leave a 3/8 inch hole open on the tranny case.

We had a customer go off on our counter help this past summer.... calling every body names , " I am gonna get a lawyer threat" ... all over a leaky 700r4 tranny, no shifts till high RPM....The kid had called our tech guy several times.

When we got his car on the lift , the filler tube was stuck in the case of the 700r4.... there was NO rubber sealing sleeve on the filler tube. The un-hooked TV cable was resting on the header ( melted).

The kid's dad called me a G-D liar when I explained the TV cable must be hooked up. I walked away & let the shop manager handle it.

Good luck with your car, you will get it done. It is just a large learning curve

Old 12-28-2006, 05:45 PM
My car took all my money

well the teacher is older and he has been having steriod injections in his back, and has been in a lot of pain. so i really don't want to hold it against him, but that was bad advice.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
My car took all my money

put the kickdown cable in today, and guess what, no leaks. the car also seems to shift harder, and not as early. so it is coming together well. now about the convertor and engine........
Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
just to rehash; i put a turbo 350 in a mid 80's camaro daily driver, because the 700r4 burned up. i put a new front seal in it and a pan gasket and now its leaking really bad like 2 quarts in less than 24 hours. and only when the car is not running. if the cars on it wont leak but off it leaks everytime. any ideas cause trans fluid is starting to get expensive and i get a discount on it
That front seal is a very tempermental issue it needs to be put in very carefully. Check the converter where it contacts the seal sometimes it get wear or burs and eats the seal.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.