Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - trans leak
Thread: trans leak
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 11:40 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

trans leak

A friend of mine threw a rod in his 1988 Chevy 1-ton truck. He asked me if I would install a reman motor for him, to which I agreed.

Since I had the engine out anyways, I took the opportunity to install a front pump seal on the trans and change the fluid / filter.

With everything completed, I tuned the engine and drove it around a little before handing the keys back. Everything was great...ran and drove very well. I did find a small tranny leak in one of the lines going to the aftermarket cooler, so I fixed that.

He drove the truck down to Ohio to do some work (he's a contractor) at which time he called me to tell me that he was blowing tons of smoke out of the exhaust.

We had it towed back and upon my inspection, I found so much tranny fluid under the truck that it was actually dripping off the tail pipe. It looked as if someone pressure washed the entire underbody of the truck with the fluid.

I pressure washed everything (with hot water), checked fluids (oil fine, trans down a bit) and ran the truck. I couldn't find a leak anywhere. I ran that thing for a good two hours with no drips, I drove it around a bit and still found no leaks.

He had to use the truck again, so he drove it to Muskegon...same thing happened, tranny fluid everywhere. It is as if the leak only happens when the truck is subjected to a constant load for a certain duration of time.

I have not pulled the tranny yet, but since I cannot pin point where this gusher is coming from I suppose I will have to. The only thing I can think of is that the front seal is alowing the converter to blast the stuff out...I don't see why, but who knows?

Any thoughts?