Hot Rod Forum banner

trans oil for 5 speed man

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nova454man 
#1 ·
i have a 1988 chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a 5 speed trans {man}. ive heard of 3 types of oil to put in it . Mobil 1 syn auto trans fluid and something clear. i was wondering if Royal purple syn trans fluid wood work ? need some help on this dont want to hurt tranny. the tranny an bellhouseing is one unit. thanks for the help.

#2 ·
nova454man said:
i have a 1988 chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a 5 speed trans {man}. ive heard of 3 types of oil to put in it . Mobil 1 syn auto trans fluid and something clear. i was wondering if Royal purple syn trans fluid wood work ? need some help on this dont want to hurt tranny. the tranny an bellhouseing is one unit. thanks for the help.
By what I can gather, a synchromesh manual transmission fluid is what's called for. It's not ATF. But a motor oil (synthetic fine) can be subbed.

From another thread-

"Chevrolet Truck 1988-92
5-speed: Sectional Case
Gear Lubricant = GLS P.N.1052931 (This number is listed in the book) (Gear Lube,Special)
Cross reference - 5W-30 or 10W-30 Engine Oil SG/CC/CD

Capacity should be 1.9 qts., check to make sure by saving the drained oil and measuring it."

And-

"New Venture Gear 3500 Manual Transmission recommended lubricant: Synchromesh transmission fluid GM p/n 12345349
The oil capacity is 2.2 quarts or 2.0 liters."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.