trans speedo delema - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2003, 04:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face trans speedo delema

Hellow fellow hot rod fans.I'm a proud owner of a 1966 Ford Musstang 289 with a 4 spped trans that has a problem with the speedo.When I bought the car the speedo worked but jumped form 0-120 while driving.So far I have removed the trans and changed the drive gear and matching driven gear with the same number theeth as the one I removed. Now the speedo only works in reverse stays on 0 when in forward speeds.I've tried two different other gear sets per advice from Mustangunlimeted to no advale.HELP PLEASE if you have ever run into this problem before.I enjoy reading the advice on the bulletin board every nite.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 05:00 PM

Have you changed the cable? And make sure the housing where the cable screw into is not striped out.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

[quote]When I bought the car the speedo worked but jumped form 0-120 while driving.So far I have removed the trans and changed the drive gear and matching driven gear with the same number theeth as the one I removed. Now the speedo only works in reverse stays on 0 when in forward speeds.<hr></blockquote>

Usually, when a speedometer jumps in this manner, it is either a kink in the speedometer cable or a bad speedometer head. When you changed gears, did you put the right pitch gears back in? That would explain operation in reverse.

You can check for a kinked or binding (lack of lube) cable or bad head by disconnecting the cable housing from the head and operate the vehicle on jack stands to verify if the cable is turning or not. If it is without jumping or binding, it will be the speedometer head.

Official Non-Professional Disclaimer;

Now of course this is merely my opinion and I have no college degree or industry certifications. As soon as my shadow gets back in from the shop, he will proof read my thoughts here and correct anything that is not technically correct... He will be able to connect his Snap-Off scan tool and tune it in to hear Dione Warwick sing. "Do You Know The Way To San Jose'"

If she was truly psychic, why did she sing that?
Old 04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Another thing to check is to make sure that all of your conections are tight. When I bought my 57 back in 99 it would jump all over the place, when I took it to the speedo shop they told me it was lose and it has worked fine. They also made a Ratio change and corrected the speedo so that it worked perfectly.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

After you have checked for kinks, proper routing and binding of the cable, disconnect the cable from the head, and pull the cable out of the housing with a pair of needle nose pliers. Grease the cable (wheel bearing grease)and reinstall the cable back in the housing. Thats the 1st step in diagnosing speedo issues and that generally takes care of 90% of those problems. With yours jumping from 0 to 120, that almost sounds like speedo head problem, but try this and what the other guys said.

and put that original drive gear back in.

Thats just my professional opinion

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.