trans tailshaft bushing fit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

trans tailshaft bushing fit

I just replaced the tailshaft bushing and seal on my C-6 trans. But when I went to replace the driveshaft and insert the front yoke it would only slide on the spline until it reached the bushing and then would go further. I have never replaced a tailshaft bushing before so I don't know quite what to expect in terms of the fitment. I realize it should be snug, but can they actually require some "big hammer" action to slip into the bushing the first time or is this a sign that there is something amiss with the bushing. Theoretically, if I hammer on the yoke and it does not start sliding into place it could drive the bushing out of position (and into the housing area).

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I just replaced the tailshaft bushing and seal on my C-6 trans. But when I went to replace the driveshaft and insert the front yoke it would only slide on the spline until it reached the bushing and then would go further. I have never replaced a tailshaft bushing before so I don't know quite what to expect in terms of the fitment. I realize it should be snug, but can they actually require some "big hammer" action to slip into the bushing the first time or is this a sign that there is something amiss with the bushing. Theoretically, if I hammer on the yoke and it does not start sliding into place it could drive the bushing out of position (and into the housing area).

you do not mention how you replaced the bushing.

Some times the edge of the bushing gets laid over a bit during the install. This will cause the drive shaft yoke to not slide in.

I'd work the yoke into the bushing and tap the yoke sideways to see if you can get the edge knocked down.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Yep, what he said! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Some times the edge of the bushing gets laid over a bit during the install. This will cause the drive shaft yoke to not slide in.
The edge did get laid over a bit but I took the dremel with a small stone and ground off the edge that had been marred. I then ran the stone around the entire edge to give it a bit of an angle and then smoothed it off with 400 grit paper. After this I could run my finger around the edge and not feel any sort of lip or imperfection. I also oiled the inside of the bushing at that point (with the housing still off the trans) but did not try sliding the yoke into the bushing (should have done that I guess).

Since posting I did try tapping on the yoke a bit with a plastic hammer just to see if it would pop in - but didn't help.

I'm wondering if it would be better at this point to go ahead and use more hammer or whether I should try grinding a little taper at the end of the yoke to insure it gets a better start into the bushing. Suggestions?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Last photo:

My vote would be that you distorted the bushing enough that the yoke no longer slips into it.

Vince
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
My vote would be that you distorted the bushing enough that the yoke no longer slips into it.
If this is correct, is the only solution to start over with a new bushing? And if so, how do I prevent the exact same result? These things are such a tight fit that even after freezing the bushing (in the freezer for 1/2 hour before install) it still had to be driven into place with a good deal of force. So what's the trick to the install that prevents the use of force...and the resulting distortion?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
If this is correct, is the only solution to start over with a new bushing? And if so, how do I prevent the exact same result? These things are such a tight fit that even after freezing the bushing (in the freezer for 1/2 hour before install) it still had to be driven into place with a good deal of force. So what's the trick to the install that prevents the use of force...and the resulting distortion?

did you have the proper bushing driver for this bushing?

Is it the correct bushing?

Even with the bushing driver , sometimes the edge flattens out a tad and needs correction.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Last photo:

Yes, you need the proper driver, one that is a perfect fit in the bushing. Even then sometime you mess it up.

Vince
Old 04-20-2006, 10:31 PM

Last photo:

Well, I finally got it installed. I ended up pulling the full driveshaft and then inserted an old yoke I had around. Without the full driveshaft attached I could easily tap the yoke pretty much dead center so I was fairly sure I was driving it straight. With a couple of taps it slid into the bushing, but it was a pretty tight fit. I then drove the yoke off and on a couple more times to loosen things up a bit and then installed the full driveshaft. It's still fairly snug but does spin and slide in and out with some effort. I'll drive it a couple laps and hopefully it will sort of break itself in (or break itself completely).

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.