Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Transfer Case Identification
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transfer Case Identification

Hello again.

I've got a 1977 Chevy Pickup 4WD, originally equipped with a 400 CID motor but without an RPO sticker so I don't know much else about the truck.

I'm basically trying to find out the info on the transfer case. I see that from 73-87 that three different types of transfer cases were available. According to the site I checked, only two of those were available in 77.

The RP 203 and the RP 205. Now if I knew anything about transfer cases or 4WD, I'm sure I could tell the difference without trying to dig for numbers.

From what I read the 203 is a full-time chain driven unit. Does this mean the chain is visible from the undercarriage of the vehicle? or is this contained behind a cover of some sort?

The 205 is Gear driven...doesn't say full time.

So I guess what I'm asking is---What exactly is "Full Time"? DOes that mean there is no option to turn it off? So if I had locking hubs on my wheels than I probably don't have a 203? If I look under the truck and I don't see a chain then I don't have a 203?

Any insight here would be appreciated.

thanks.