Transgo T-350 stage options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Transgo T-350 stage options

After alot of hours googling I decided to go with the Transgo 350-1-2 kit.

Seems like Jakeshoe covers alot of different forums hopefully ill catch him here! I came across a very detailed post about this topic and now I cant find it!

Problem one is the instructions for this kit is one sheet of paper with little detail. I have downloaded and watched a very "dated" video from Transgo that I feel will makeup for the lack of detail in the instructions. A few questions about the video vs instructions.

1. The Red vs Orange spring. The video uses the orange spring, the narrator calls it the street/strip spring. The paper instructions calls it "Competition only" and the red spring "hardworking & street cars". Im no gearhead, most of my mechanical work requires books and google! What are the pro's and cons of these two springs. Is this the step that could cause a more violent shift? I can never find responses on the net about how the felt about the red spring vs orange spring in there cars.

2. There are steps with a gold spring for modulator( I have decided to not use) and governor springs that was not in the video. It comes with 2 yellows, white and a blue spring. Passenger & light trucks 2 yellows and 4wd white and yellow. I guess the blue is a in between for custom shifts. Should I go ahead and replace the stock springs with two yellows at first?

Little background on the car - 68 Camaro with a mild 350 - stock converter im sure - 12bolt rear. It use to have a pretty agressive th350 tranny when I first aquired the car, would chirp the tires going to 2nd and a occasional 3rd gear chirp. I dont know what was in it. It went out on my years ago and had to replace it fast do to being a daily driver at the time. This tranny is smooth, you feel nothing as it shifts. Today the car comes out 1 or 2 times a month weather permitting and would like to bring the tranny to life(make it a little more fun) if you know what i mean!

I have read posts recommending drilling holes for firmer shifts with this kit. Im not sure what everyone is talking about. A picture says alot for me lol.

thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 AM

I feel like a idiot I already made a similar post on this site. Sorry admins! Thought I was on a different forum.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

what kind of firmness on the shift do you want? Please dont answer with : medium
Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Want to feel it change gears. Nothing like the B&M stage 2 kits I hear about though. What kind of difference to you suppose I would get between the red and orange springs with just the kit no drilling modifications?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Use the red PR spring , leave plate alone.

Do not change the governor springs

Do not install the gold spring on the modulator valve

Shift feel willl also be determined by tire size, gear ratio , converter stall.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Sounds like a plan, Ill post a update when its finished. Why leave governor springs original? Just curious
Old 09-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srober76 View Post
Sounds like a plan, Ill post a update when its finished. Why leave governor springs original? Just curious
It is a known starting point for shift timing. Yellow springs, will cause earlier shifts. If you check the OEM springs, one should be slightly lighter than the other if they are OE

See where shifts are at after v-body mods.

Stiffer gov springs = earlier light throttle shifts
Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM

Job done. Normal driving speeds 1-2 seems the same. Im thinking previous owner of dead tranny must of had a b&M kit. WOT it will bark the tires going into 2. Playing with the manual shifting it does change quicker, more responsive.

I think if the orange spring would of caused firmer shifting I probably would of went with that over the red. Anyrate not taking all that apart again just to try the orange spring!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

hi! i use the orange spring in all of my performance th 350 rebuilds no hard shifting complaints!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.