Hot Rod Forum banner

Transgo th350 1&2 Reprograming Kit

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  spinn 
#1 ·
I'm planing to install this kit in the next couple of days and wanted to if anyone has any advice or opinions before I start.The instructions that came with kit is only a single piece of paper but I have watched the video from the transgo website and is seems to be pretty straight forward.The written instructions mentions a couple of things the video didn't cover,the gold spring on the modulator valve and the different springs used on the governor for customizing shifts.I thought I could use an adjustable modulator valve to make shifts earlier or later.Also maybe nothing the picture on the printed page shows the new spring in the detent lever going one way with the coiled end over the support plate and video shows it installed the opposite way.I have the trans out of the car which is 1970 El Camino with a 383,this just a street car the probably new see track.Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

#2 ·
Are you rebuilding the trans? It would be wise to install a hardened intermediate race and new sprags IMO. TransGo makes a good kit the govorner springs and weights are for your full throttle shifts, modulator adjustments are for cruising shifts. Just some pointers, make sure your work area is clean and scrub the hell outta the valve body, rinse it with brakes parts cleaner air(compressor?) dry and your good 2 go. I installed my detent spring like the paper shows IDK if it makes any differance.

#4 ·
I would suggest you not change the governor springs or add the spring on the modulator valve till you test drive.

The modulator spring will make shifts earlier - softer

Stiffer springs in the governor make shifts earlier and the springs have more effect on light to mid range throttle application.

The adjustable vacuum modulator will alter the shift points under light throttle , generally about 5 - 8 mph. This is dependent on your engine - gear ratio setup. More cam = less vacuum = later shifts usually

#5 ·
The $40 goverbor kit from TCi works great for shift points. Personally, no shift kits. Similar firmness can be aquired with an adjustable modulator.

Some results to get you closer to where you want to be.

he governor's springs and weights are what sets the in drive shift points. B&M has a kit #20248 for $37 to recal it for any rpm you want.

B&M governor calibration kit for WOT.....THIS IS JUST AN APPROXIMATION!!
GM#24202127 = 4400 rpm
Blue&Yellow 2 & 3 = 4900 rpm C10 tried good torque jump to 2nd at 4300
GM#24202117 = 5000 rpm
Blue & Yellow 4 & 3 = 5100 rpm
GM#24202122 = 5200 rpm
Blue & Yellow 2 & 5 = 5300 rpm C10 tried revs out till done at 4700
Blue & Yellow 5 & 3 = 5500 rpm
Blue & Green 4 & 5 = 5600 rpm
Blue & Green 3 & 5 = 5600 to 5700 rpm

Also If you have a lockup transission unit. Use a window switch to manually lockup converter 300rpm bfeore the end of each gear. This is where the engine is at peak hp, and locking TCC lowers the climbing rpm, holding very close ratio to the previous gear. Turns a wide 3 speed into a very limited use semi - 6 gear automatic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.