transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

transmission

I have a 1967 chevy short bed truck with a 427 corvette motor. The saginaw that was in the truck went bad. I bought an aluminum truck transmission. Not sure the brand but the housing number is g m 460486. I tried to put the transmission in without changing the housing. it would not completely bolt up. Seems like the trans will not go through the housing because the opening is to small. Will this transmission bolt up and work if I change the housing? Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

We need to know which transmission you have before we can answer your question. Most truck aluminum transmissions do not use that bell housing as they have integral bells. And I can think of only one aluminum truck transmission off of the top of my head that has a separate bell, and the bore in your bell will fit that transmission.

So, get us information about your transmission.

Edit, make that two instead of one above, but those will not fit that bell at all as the bore in the bell is too large.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmerlinn For This Useful Post:
Crosley (05-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Transmission

Here are some numbers I found on the trans: C15390, tbf 708764, c15402, gm826188, 10x-13-80, 14030811 029. These may be parts of the case and case numbers. supposedly the trans came out of a truck. It was sold to me as an aluminum racing trans. It was last in an elcamino with a g m 454. It came with a Hurst shifter.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM

transmission

The transmission also has a symbol that is round and kinda looks like gears.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Chevy used 2 different size bell housing openings. There is a 4.something inch and 1 that is just over 5". The 5" is a common truck bell housing where as the smaller 1 is more common in cars. You either need to machine your bell housing, or get a truck bell..

It sounds like a Richmond T10 which is an aluminum 4spd, basically the same as the Borg Warner T10
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

a t10 would say 1304xxx on it somewhere. It could be a Richmond, Tex Racing or RollTek box. If its a T10; we had some oversize front bearing retainers made, to fit the truck bell (if you have a truck bell); or you can buy a standard T10 front bearing retainer for way less than the cost of a new bell.

Make sure if its a T10, you get a casting number off the front bearing retainer to see if it needs a seal or not (it SHOULD) And if you replace the front bearing retainer, make sure to get a 12363 seal from Chicago Rawhide or the National equivalent.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM

transmission

thanks for the reply. I measured the housing and it does have a 5" opening. The previous housing must be the 4+" opening. Now I need to know if the 5" housing will fit and the transmission will work in this engine before I take the housing out. I am not using a lift so this work is hard and tedious.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
Here are some numbers I found on the trans: C15390, tbf 708764, c15402, gm826188, 10x-13-80, 14030811 029. These may be parts of the case and case numbers. supposedly the trans came out of a truck. It was sold to me as an aluminum racing trans. It was last in an elcamino with a g m 454. It came with a Hurst shifter.
You have a 1981 only A833 box which came only with the 5-1/8" bearing retainer. Bell #460486 (which you have) has the same size hole, so I don't understand when you say that you tried putting it in without changing the bell housing that it would not bolt up. That bell fits the A833 transmission and should bolt right up to your motor with no changes whatsoever.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmerlinn For This Useful Post:
Crosley (05-16-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post
You have a 1981 only A833 box which came only with the 5-1/8" bearing retainer. Bell #460486 (which you have) has the same size hole, so I don't understand when you say that you tried putting it in without changing the bell housing that it would not bolt up. That bell fits the A833 transmission and should bolt right up to your motor with no changes whatsoever.
This what I was thinking since he said it was a "truck" trans; the MOPAR produced and retooled A883 4 speed, so 4th gear is actually overdrive. The throw out bearing collar should be able to be turned down in diameter to the right size, providing there is room to do so with the collar. Or, swap bells. Butch/junior stocker
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker View Post
The throw out bearing collar should be able to be turned down in diameter to the right size, providing there is room to do so with the collar.
I don't know if there is room or not. Even if there is, I highly recommend against doing anything to the retainer. If someone makes a mistake in the process of modifying it, he will not be able to use the transmission as those retainers are almost as scarce as hen's teeth. Ditto with accidentally breaking it in the installation process.

So scarce that I am actually in the process of investigating the feasibility of making a hundred or so aftermarket ones. If I can get them at a price where I can resell them for $75-$100 each, I will spend the money on design, tooling, setup, etc. then have have them made.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.