Transmission clunk noise? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission clunk noise?

When shifting into drive a loud clunk noise happens then wont move if I pull it down into 1st it will go and then I can put it back into d and it will go I notice the fluid is low but is my transmission toast at this point or can i save it with filter change and new fluid also i herd noise could be caused by u joints or something like that ?????????? this is on a 1993chevy suburban 4x4

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCam
When shifting into drive a loud clunk noise happens then wont move if I pull it down into 1st it will go and then I can put it back into d and it will go I notice the fluid is low but is my transmission toast at this point or can i save it with filter change and new fluid also i herd noise could be caused by u joints or something like that ?????????? this is on a 1993chevy suburban 4x4
I am confused.

You say when you shift it into drive you get a loud clunk. Once you get the clunk it won't move if you shift it down into 1st. Then for some reason it will go and then you can put it back into drive and it will go if you see your fluid is low. Then you want to know if your transmission is toast at this point. Blah, blah, blah.

So, am I to assume that if you get the loud clunk, it will move unless you pull it down to 1st? It makes no sense to me if it won't move in 1st then at some point later it will move in 1st.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Could you clarify?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trans clunk

Yes as weird as it sounds that's what's going I have not drove it much just got the new motor in and have been testing it out just bought the suburban last month so don't know too much about it but the dip stick has a little on it in the cold when it is hot. have not drove it other than in the yard and when I backed up and then put it in drive there was a loud clunk that I felt from under it transmission area then wouldn't go Rpms went up but didn't move tried a couple of times then I pulled it all the way down in first it moved finally then I drove it back to parking space in 1st put back in drive tried it again it moved and this has happen like 5 times this week so I am trying to figure out is it because the fluid is low or is my transmission messed up I just notice the low fluid this last time cause I filled it up when I put the new motor in any help would be appreciated

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.