Hot Rod Forum banner

Transmission conversion

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Bonneville462 
#1 ·
Looking for any info on a transmission swap from a turbo 400 to 5 speed manual. Anyone use any kits(expensive) or have any PROVEN junkyard swaps. Want to start pulling some gears. I have a 68 Impala S/S with a big block. Any advice would be welcome

#2 ·
I am not sure that any of that body style ever had a manual trans..if it did then there may be a factory clutch linkage and pedal available...maybe even in the yards. Other wise you will need to fabricate that part.

the trans part is a straight out swap the flex plate for a flywheel, get a bellhousing and trans, throwout bearing and clutch fork assembly and bolt it in..no gurantees on trans mount and driveshaft.

Most of those I have seen successful when the car was available with a factory manual t..

Sam

#3 ·
Yes, you could get a manual trans in a 68 Chevy full size. Good luck finding one in a wrecking yard. Set up a search in ebay and wait for a set to hit. As for a trans, you need a TKO500 or TKO600. These are aftermarket transmissions and you will not find one in a wrecking yard. You might find a used one on Craigslist. A T56 from a later model Camaro/Firebird will also work. You have a slightly better chance of finding one of these in a wrecking yard. None will be a bolt-in, so unless you have the ability to do some engineering and fabrication, you had better stick to writing a check for the kit.

#4 ·
Hi :welcome:

Welcome to Hotrdders.com Glad to have you with us.

68 Impala SS You could get a standard trans from the factory, in fact, the three speed standard trans was the trans that came with the SS427 any other transmission was ordered.
For a bell housing, pedals, & Z bar you can use the ones off a 6 cyl the Biscayne is the most likely to find them in.
Good luck
Rich
PS Your pedals & stuff need to come from a 67 & up

#6 ·
The Tremec TKO trannys from Keisler engineering are modified
to fit in these cars with little to no cutting.

The trans is cut down on the top, and the shifter is modified to come up in a stock location.

If you feel like spending quite a bit of cash---you can probably get everything but the pedals and linkage from Keisler as well.

An unmodified TKO is not going to fit at all without some serious floor modifications.

This is the trans I put in my 66 Elky

Stock shifter location on the TKO is in the center and in my opinion comes too close to the seat. I have a TKO II in my 59 and still need to go back and cut the floor so I can raise the trans to bring my driveshaft angles back into specs

Another pricey option is the new RS trans that should fit with no modifications at all----just about the same size as a Muncie---but the first run of those will not be delivered until August. There are a few people on Team Chevelle that are anxiously awaiting these for some testing.
On the same note----most that have the Tremec are pretty happy with them, despite the fact that they do not shift like the old time 4-spds.
And---they have proven to be tough as nails on the dragstrip as well.
Have not read of anyone killing one yet on the Chevelle board.

Pretty happy with mine in the 59-----not driving the 66 yet, but I do not anticipate being unhappy with it.

#8 ·
What rear end ratio do you have?

They make a Super T-10 with a 2.88 first gear..

I would check out the hyd clutch set ups.. That might be a better way..

Myself, I'd never use anything but a Turbo 400 in my 61-64 big Pontiacs. Our roads here in Pittsburgh are very aggressive and take a lot of concentration..

I like the Turbo 400 with a lower 2.75 first gear with a 2.56 posi, it's a blast!

I go for a ride in a big car with a stick. You might not like it.. I can tell you this much, it's not going to be like a Camaro or a Goat.. And that Chevy is defiantly not going to be as fast as it is with the Turbo 400s 2:1 torque multiplication..

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.