Transmission cooler or A/C condensor coil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission cooler or A/C condensor coil

I've been doing a little brain storming, and i cant think of a good place to mount a tranny cooler. Now just hear me out before you say your oppinion.
My car used to have A/C it doesn't any more, i removed all of it and blocked off the fire wall. I still have the condensor coil laying in my garage. I'm thinking of getting rid of my flex fan, and installing a dual 14" electric fans with a thermostat. each fan is supossed to be pulling 1600 cfm so i think it's keep my radiator nice and cool, esspecially cruising. my ? is if i clean that A/C condensor out really good, say flush it with gas, then water, then purge it with tranny fluid, could i re-install it back in front of the radiator like it was stock but have it as a transmission cooler instead? what do you think guys, remember its just a thought at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

I did it

the problem i had was the tubing wore thru the rubber hoses, I just cut them with a hack saw. didn't debur or smooth the ends
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

Clean it good with Brake cleaner & compressd air. May cool too good in winter but you can buy a thermostatic bypass valve from B&M for that. Opens around 180*, below that it returns coolant to trans for fast warm up.
Also you can get adapter fittings with nipple ends for the hose so you don't have to cut the condensor lines.

Last edited by SSedan64; 08-26-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 08-26-2008, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

and

did you fix that problem and did it work ok after that. I'm planning on using all metal lines, no rubber, but if i end up having to use rubber I'll use the highest PSI and temp hose i can find, mabey even some with steel braid or mesh in it.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

to thin??

someone told me that the passages may be to thin for tranny fluid to circulate very well and if so it could burn my pump up in the tranny, do you guys know anything about this.? I forced some fluid through it today with compressed air just to see what it would take, it seemed to come through pretty easily. what do you guys think?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonde
someone told me that the passages may be to thin for tranny fluid to circulate very well and if so it could burn my pump up in the tranny, do you guys know anything about this.? I forced some fluid through it today with compressed air just to see what it would take, it seemed to come through pretty easily. what do you guys think?
It's possible it could pose a restriction. Easy enough to check tho', just rig a pressure gauge inline before the cooler and see if you have a pressure spike/rise at idle and 1500-2000rpm. Test without the cooler hooked up first & compare readings.
Most I've used had plenty of flow.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

most

you say "most you've used", how many times have you done this. how many were unsuccessful, what were the results?? please share your knowledge/expirience. what kind of car did the a/c coil you used come out of?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
you say "most you've used", how many times have you done this. how many were unsuccessful, what were the results?? please share your knowledge/expirience. what kind of car did the a/c coil you used come out of?
I've used many over the years. Older GM cars that ran R12 freon. Tried one from an Isuzu that was not factory installed & was too small & factory Toyota & Honda was too small. Seems all the ones with the flat flues were too small.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

R12

So do you know what an 82' cutlass supreme would have ran. Did you ever use one from a G body?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
So do you know what an 82' cutlass supreme would have ran. Did you ever use one from a G body?
I have a 80 Cutlass Supreme in the yard. That thing is huge, has two rows of flues/tubes & is as large as the radiator. It's the right type tho', with the round flues/tubes.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I used the a/c condenser in my 1968 Chevelle for a t-400 trans cooler ... this was many decades ago.

The condenser was the OE unit for the Chevelle.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

t cooler

thanks for the info guys, i got a couple nipple ends to screw into the lines that will let me put a hose on it. I will be making that mod as soo as my stall arrives. I won a brand new Dacco today 33-3500 stall, should be to my door within 1-6 bussiness days. I'll let you know how everything turns out. Have a good night.
Danny

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.