transmission cooler location - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Chevy sittin' low

Wiki Edits: 0

transmission cooler location

I think my 350 sbc is heating up in traffic due to my tranny cooler being located on the front of the radiator. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas as to where a good alternate location on a 70 nova would be? I was thinking about maybe putting it on the crossmember, anybody ever done that? It's a B&M supercooler (like 18000 gvw or something, not real big...)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2003, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

i would install a couple of electric fans on the radiator and be done with it.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

As AKM said and with a full shroud if you have the room.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:46 AM
Chevy sittin' low

I've considered doing just that, but I know alot people who's rods stay cool without fancy electric fans, plus I can't afford it at the moment, and I wanted to be a bit different and put it out of sight. bye the way, thanx a bunch for the advice.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 AM

HEY AD: There was a vendor at Good Guy's Columbus selling hot rod parts "For Cheap" he had a number of different new electric fans for less than 100 bucks. Called RODPARTS Warehouse 1-800-373-5773. Hope this might help your wallet....DAVE
Old 07-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My approach would be to remote mount the tranny cooler somewhere else on the car and give it its own fan. I am not a fan of electric fans on radiators. They aren't as efficient as a stock one. For a tranny cooler fan, go to the junk yard and get a little fan from the radiator or AC condenser on a ricer. That will keep cost very low.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

RODPARTS is a decent company to do business with, I have been doing business with them for a long time prices are usually 10% below everyone else. They had the SPAL 16 inch curve blade fans on sale in Des Moines for 59.00, these things pull like 2500+ CFM. The only reason that I know is that the electric I have been running for years in a puller configuration finally gave up the ghost and had to be replaced.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Chevy sittin' low

Cool, I'll give em' a call tommorow. I'm wondering now, where I can put the cooler, with a fan, where the air can still flow "through" the cooler. I considered the radiator support, but it would have solid sheet metal behind it with nowhere for the air to flow through.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

It's never easy!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

I have had a few cases where I mounted the trans cooler against the radiator with the little clips that came with the kit and had cooling problems. They were right over the area for the oem trans cooler. I moved the trans cooler so that it had approx 3" space between the trans cooler and rad and problem went away. Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Go to the boneyard and get a Taurus or maybe T-bird fan and shroud. These are large 16" fans with a nice shroud. The 96 or so (the kidney body) has a two speed fan, that's what I'm using now. I'm using it on high speed only right now, but intend to wire in a relay so that when the AC comes on it runs on low speed, and when the thermostat kicks it on it switches to high speed. I had to do lots of trimming with a jig saw on the shroud to make it fit my car (63 Rambler w/4.6L inline six), then mounted it to the radiator with the through radiator zip-tie mounts. You can get remounting kits from any auto parts store. This fan pulls LOTS of air! I can put my hand in front of the AC condensor and feel the air coming through when the car is at idle. I had a 14" aftermarket fan paired with a 10" junkyard AC fan from an import. They had shrouds for the ends of the blades, not for the surface of the radiator. The Taurus shroud covers 90-95% of my radiator surface. I just had to trim it for depth and drill a couple small holes for the mounting zip-ties. There are mounting tabs on the shroud that you might be able to use without much trimming. I had to move my radiator 1/4" forward for clearance as well.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:54 PM

i mounted mine at the rear of my car at the lower part of my trunk. i also mounted a extra fan on it and also ran it through my radiator. trans fluid stays very cool. hope this helps
Old 07-30-2003, 07:06 PM

One approach I haven't heard mentioned is using synthetic engine oil and synthetic ATF. These lubricants are advertised to drop operating temperature 20 - 50 Deg F (at least that is what AMSOIL advertises) I have personnally seen it work on a late model Vette that was running hot. Just another angle!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:06 AM
Chevy sittin' low

OK, I didn't get to call the number, or go to the scrap yard today as planned, but I DID see a 73 nova with a tranny cooler mounted a few inches off of the radiator, as mentioned by 85406. Now that seems to be the easiest solution so far, but was looking at the car parked at a store, and could not see what they used to mount it that far out. I could probably conjur something up, but am wondering if anyone knows a good way to do that. I am definately thankful for all of the good cheap electric fan advice. I plan on converting to those further down the road, and your ideas will probably save some money ( I'll have to remember where this thread is) Lastly, mounting it on the tranny crossmember as mentioned above, is that just not plausible? Would it get ample air flow there? Oh, one last question, a temperture gauge for the transmission, where exactly do you attatch one, on a TH350? One of those basic things I don't know.....well thanx for all the advice, even if this dosn't get anymore replies, I'm sure I have enough here to fix my problem, thanks again........this site rocks!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:54 AM

if you start looking in salvage yards you will find a mid '90s dodge that had a tranny cooler mounted like this:

I don't recall what the vehicle was, but I think is something like Dodge Shadow, Plymouth Acclaim. Something in those types of rides.

My local u pull had 3 of the cars and 2 of them had these coolers so it should be pretty easy to hunt up.

It is sitting about 4-6" in front of the radiator and the tabs come off the core support with a pair of bolts - 1 on each side.

I am hoping to grab a pair of them 1 for oil and 1 for tranny one of these days.

Dan

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.