Transmission Cooler Location - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission Cooler Location

There is a flat trans cooler mounted under my 36 Ford street rod.

I'd like to know just how well these work if mounted flat under the floor with about 3" clearence above the unit. Have any of you checked the fluid temp before and after a cooler mounted likt this ?

Not much room to mount a scoop cause of ground clearence. I don't want it mounted in front of the radiator.

Any ideas ?

THANKS !!

454 RATTLER

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

If you are still running hot, you might try adding a fan to the cooler - some come that way so you should be able to buy the fan somewhere. Airflow is important - if you aren't getting flow over the coil, you will need a fan. Derale Universal Remote Coolers with Fan - JEGS
The Following User Says Thank You to sedanbob For This Useful Post:
454 Rattler (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I find these work so much better then them the flat ones... If the flat ones don't have a fan or mounted up and down I find it hard for the air to past where it needs to pass,,through it... They are good for in front of the Rad, I run ones like this under all my car's with no problems at all..

You can run the one you have,, But if it's laying flat under the car,, Put a fan on it..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5051.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	73440  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

I know a number of guys that run a cooler just like New Interiors posted - and all seem to like them. Tucked alongside the frame rail, that style should still get good airflow - a stacked plate should have a fan to pull air through it.

New Interiors, Have you seen any performance data on that style of cooler? I have seen ratings on the stacked plate style - in terms of trailer weight, but have not seen similar ratings on the finned cooler type. Most guys that use a trans cooler on their rod don't seem to run a trans temp gauge - regardless of cooler style.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
I know a number of guys that run a cooler just like New Interiors posted - and all seem to like them. Tucked alongside the frame rail, that style should still get good airflow - a stacked plate should have a fan to pull air through it.

New Interiors, Have you seen any performance data on that style of cooler? I have seen ratings on the stacked plate style - in terms of trailer weight, but have not seen similar ratings on the finned cooler type. Most guys that use a trans cooler on their rod don't seem to run a trans temp gauge - regardless of cooler style.
Sorry I didn't see any data on them.. I ran them on every car I built and never had one fail yet,, No trans problems at all,, aluminum dissipates heat. I know from all mine and being around all the other hotrodders that they do work.. I would love to see the difference and the data sheet's but never have..I never run a trans gauge also..
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

I thought about putting a temperature sender in the trans cooler line, then wiring it to the water temperature gauge with a switch that would let me see either one on the water temp gauge. I have Autometer gauges, and their tech told me the senders used the same range, so it would work.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
I thought about putting a temperature sender in the trans cooler line, then wiring it to the water temperature gauge with a switch that would let me see either one on the water temp gauge. I have Autometer gauges, and their tech told me the senders used the same range, so it would work.
Very cool idea..
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have an extruded two pass, 24 inch long mounted on the frame rail of my '31. I also have a temp sender mounted in the pan and use a DPDT switch to the engine coolant gauge so I can monitor both with a quick flip of that switch - both run about 180 degrees F on a 90+ day. You can debate location of the sender, but the pan is the easiest for my application. Couple of photos attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1921.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	73528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans cooler.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	73529  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I have an extruded two pass, 24 inch long mounted on the frame rail of my '31. I also have a temp sender mounted in the pan and use a DPDT switch to the engine coolant gauge so I can monitor both with a quick flip of that switch - both run about 180 degrees F on a 90+ day. You can debate location of the sender, but the pan is the easiest for my application. Couple of photos attached:
That's just what I was talking about, switching senders on a single gauge. I think the pan works fine as a location for the sender. Thanks for posting how well that works for you. I know lots of guys who run an extruded cooler like yours, but very few that have a sender/gauge to monitor how it's really working.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler View Post
There is a flat trans cooler mounted under my 36 Ford street rod.

I'd like to know just how well these work if mounted flat under the floor with about 3" clearence above the unit. Have any of you checked the fluid temp before and after a cooler mounted likt this ?

Not much room to mount a scoop cause of ground clearence. I don't want it mounted in front of the radiator.

Any ideas ?

THANKS !!

454 RATTLER

Maybe you have room in front or rear fender well or rear axle tunnel. I prefer B&M stacked pate with Virgo fan.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
If you didn't have temp data on your rig, I'd ask if it has even been actually driven at all! Holy Bat, Bleepman! How do you keep it so pristine? The car underside looks 100% brand new, never been off the show circuit floor! Wow!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
If you didn't have temp data on your rig, I'd ask if it has even been actually driven at all! Holy Bat, Bleepman! How do you keep it so pristine? The car underside looks 100% brand new, never been off the show circuit floor! Wow!
I guess you didn't read that it runs about 180 DEGREES F at 90 DEGREES F

Secondly, both photos were taken during the BUILD PHASE, prior to being driven and are supplied as an alternate way to cool transmission fluid and something that the OP may consider.

As far as being on the show circuit - not a chance.

Thank you for the chance to further explain.

Last edited by Irelands child; 04-25-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: took the sarcasm out
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Nice setup......I have that still cooler on my trans also (30 Ford Coupe) but wondered about its effectiveness, so got the parts together to add a tube/fin performance style up in front of the rad.....apparently these type coolers do a good job from your report. On the temp sender in the pan, I am getting ready to add a deep pan and like that setup....what or where did you get the bushing to install the sending unit? Did it come as a kit type thing......
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Nice setup......I have that still cooler on my trans also (30 Ford Coupe) but wondered about its effectiveness, so got the parts together to add a tube/fin performance style up in front of the rad.....apparently these type coolers do a good job from your report. On the temp sender in the pan, I am getting ready to add a deep pan and like that setup....what or where did you get the bushing to install the sending unit? Did it come as a kit type thing......
If it's an aluminum pan, just drill and pipe tap it for whatever temp sender you want to use. Most gauge companies can supply you with a standard thread sender, O-ring and nut for a steel pan. I had a VDO sender for a steel pan but not a clue as to what happened to it as I didn't use it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Yes, its a pretty hefty aluminum pan, I didnt know if you had found a "special" fitting or bulkhead type of thing for the sending unit....sorta like the pieces they sell for adding a drain to a pan without one. It has a gasketed (flat plastic type ring) with a bulkhead style fitting, to secure to the pan and then the plug goes into that.....heck i mite just weld a bung into it and get it over with,. lol

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.