Transmission coolers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission coolers

Hi
I'm putting a sbc&350 turbo in my 26T. I don't have a tranny cooler in the radiator,and don't have room for one in front of the rad. I will have about 425 HP and running a 11" 2500 stall converter. I see these coolers that look like a cylinder with fins on the outsite that mount along the frame .Do these kind work good and what brand is best? what length would be best for my application? If these kind don't woork well what would be a good solution?
thanks
Gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have used them on two of my cars,I had no problems with mine.I would use the longest you can without it looking funny.I think I had a 12'' on one,And a 18'' on the other one.I would use them again.I bought them on ebay. I had one in my 32 Chevy roadster,And one in my 57 Chevy.Both in my album.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

This is a 24" two pass mounted on the outside of the frame and cooling a Ford (TCI built) C4 and their 2000/2200 RPM stall converter. Great quality but the car is not on the road yet so as yet not sure how well it cools but has probably more surface area then most of the little "radiators" you buy after market for trailering.

Dave W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans cooler.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	27468  
Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Trans Cooler

If you plan to drive the car in cool or clod weather it's not recomended to run a regular external cooler without first going through the engine radiator. These external coolers can and will not allow the trans fluid to ever get to a safe operating temp in cool/cold weather. You can run a bypass thermo regulator that will allow the fluid to come up to Op. temp before opening the flow to your Ext. cooler. There not cheap though B&M does have them. @$70.00
What I use is a self regulating cooler since my radiator doesn't have an internal cooler either. There's a brand called Tru-Cool that makes them & they work great. Cheapest I've found from Bulkpart.com. They're not a frame rail mount type though. Here's a link that shows them and how they work.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=coolers
Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Just how cold of weather are u talking about? I live in SW Pa and only drive the car april thru oct probably lowest temp is around 50*
thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yragat
Just how cold of weather are u talking about? I live in SW Pa and only drive the car april thru oct probably lowest temp is around 50*
thanks
I for sure wouldn't worry at those temps - put a cooler on and forget about it. If it's in the 40's warm it up before you drive.

Dave
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Trans Temps

It shouldn't be a much of a problem at the temp you mentioned. But Trans fluid is like engine oil you want it to get hot enough to burn off the condensation that accumilates when the trans cools down. Oil & water create acids that damage bushing/bearings surfaces. Most trans builders recommend at least 160-180* fluid temp for this reason + the clutch frictions perform better & last longer. I've read the friction material is bonded with a water based substance also. When your not running the fluid through the radiator first it can be a problem of never getting hot enough. Just thought I'd mention it since where you live it gets pretty **** cold. LOL!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Not as cold as where Irelands Child lives and he doesnt seem to worry about running it thru the radiator!
thanks
Gary
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

You shouldn't have no trouble.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.