transmission coolers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

transmission coolers

I have an 81 c10 with an all aluminum radiator with built in trans cooler which i am using. its a driver, show and hotrod. it has 350 with a 350 turbo. i plan on swapping to a 700r4 later. but i have acquired a heat sink style cooler and i have a hadden cooler as well. i am not much on transmission knowledge, but i guess the radiator isnt a good place for cooling the transmission.

I would like to know what would be better
running only the heat sink
running the heat sink after the radiator
running both the hadden and heat sink

would any of these combos run to cool. what would be advantages other than extend trans life. what would be a good location for the heat sink. i would like to run hose to get a clean look under the hood but are trans hoses better than hard line.
sorry for so many questions in advance, i would just like to know before i apply anything myself and mess something up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'm not sure what you mean by a "heat sink" cooler- they all are basically heat exchangers, either to air or the engine coolant. The water-to-ATF cooler in the radiator is way more efficient than an air-to-ATF cooler.

If it is one of those deals that is small, has fins and simple in and out fittings and is made to be plumbed into the cooler line, I wouldn't bother w/it. Instead, use the Hayden in series w/the cooler mounted in the radiator: Transmission to the radiator cooler, then to the auxillary cooler, then return to the transmission.

Some say this will cause the ATF to be too cold in winter- I have never had that as a problem when using an auxiliary cooler like a stacked plate-type cooler after the radiator cooler. But if you feel this may be an issue, there are ways to plumb in a thermostat or buy a cooler already fitted w/one.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I think this is what you are referring to as a heat sink. Mine is a 2 pass, 24" long version and plumbed as the only cooler for my C4. This is mounted on the outside of the frame, under splash shields, but does use ambient temperature air. To date (2 years of running) my transmission fluid has never gotten anywhere near "hot", staying ~175*, but usually even lower. I do have a radiator bottom tank mounted cooler that I can plumb in to if I ever have a problem.

If in doubt, use the radiator cooler and an external version.

Dave W
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I think this is what you are referring to as a heat sink. Mine is a 2 pass, 24" long version and plumbed as the only cooler for my C4. This is mounted on the outside of the frame, under splash shields, but does use ambient temperature air. To date (2 years of running) my transmission fluid has never gotten anywhere near "hot", staying ~175*, but usually even lower. I do have a radiator bottom tank mounted cooler that I can plumb in to if I ever have a problem.

If in doubt, use the radiator cooler and an external version.

Dave W
yeah, it looks like that. mine is shorter is stright through
Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Colbalt got it right and that style works great but there are others out there that are temp sensitive (thermistatic controled) that work great in warm/cold climates. I run one on my Bronco with a stall because I drive it in the winter and summer.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard_81c10
yeah, it looks like that. mine is shorter is stright through
Yeah, a single pass add-on cooler like you've described are usually made to be be used along w/a radiator cooler, not as a stand alone cooler. They can be beneficial if the area in front of the radiator wasn't available to mount a flat cooler, or if there were some other fitment issue. I don't see it being as good as a multiple pass or stacked plate cooler in conjunction w/the rad. cooler. It's not necessary to use three coolers if the auxiliary Hayden cooler and the radiator cooler is sized correctly.

If you have access to the area in front of the radiator where a conventional cooler would be mounted, I'd just as soon not use the short single pass deal and stick w/the radiator cooler to an auxiliary cooler like the Hayden, as I outlined above. If that area isn't available, there are flat coolers w/fans mounted to them that can be placed in other more accessible areas, providing you can duct air to it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

i know its been awhile but what benifits would i see from adding the hyden after the rad. cooler before the trans.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard_81c10
i know its been awhile but what benifits would i see from adding the hyden after the rad. cooler before the trans.
As opposed to the Hayden first, THEN the radiator cooler, I presume?

My thought are that the manufacturer's instructions should be followed. In the case of Hayden for example, their recommendation is to run the coolers in series, from tranny to radiator cooler to the auxiliary cooler then back to the trans. This will supply the coolest oil to the tranny- and that's the point. Also, that's the way both of my vehicles w/OEM tranny coolers are plumbed from the factory.

Some guys opine that the other way around is better. I'll have to leave their reasons for doing this for them to explain.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.