Transmission holding ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission holding ideas

Here's an odd question for you. I'm going to be pulling my engine out of my truck this week and don't want to pull the transmission. I was going to use a floorjack to support the front of the transmission while the engine was out, but I've decided to take advantage of the open space and want to pull the truck outside for a thorough cleaning under the hood. Any idea's of what I can do to support it while I move the truck?

By the way, the truck is lowered, so there isn't a whole lot of room to work while it's on the ground. I have some ideas that might work, but I want to think outside the box and listen to other's ideas as well.

If it matters, the truck is a '91 Chevy C1500 reg cab and the transmission is a 700R4.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Probably the easiest would be to build a hanger for it - start with a 2x4 or piece of square steel bar (depending on the room available) that can sit on top of the frame rails in front of the transmission. From this, add pieces on the ends to keep the cross piece from being able to slide off the side of the frame, and add drop-links so that you could bolt it to some of the transmission bolt holes. Building this so that it rests on the frame rails allows you to close the hood if desired - I've seen the same basic idea but with a 2x4 resting on the fenders instead. Can't really give ya any measurements, but "eh, that looks close enough" oughta be just fine for this.

As for supporting the front of a trans without an engine (and not caring about moving the truck), I'll use a plain scissor jack - don't have to worry about hydraulics leaking down with this style.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

That sounds something like what I was thinking. Unfortunately, the frame is boxed at the front of the transmission right where I would want it.

I was thinking about using a 2x4 and holding it to the frame with some ratcheting tie down straps. Sort of "ghetto", but it should get the job done.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Doesn't have to be fancy. I just use some wire through bellhousing bolt holes attached to firewall, hood hinges, frame etc..
Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have to move vehicles with the trans hanging quite often, (to keep the lift from being tied up), and I usually just use a ratchet strap wrapped around the frame rails and under the trans, you can use a piece of 2x6 or something under it if the strap doesn't get it high enough by itself.
I've used heavy wire through two of the bell housing holes to the wiper motor leg, center hood brace, or even a sturdy bolt hole in the firewall too. The ratchet strap seems to work the best and quickest most of the time though,
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Great, thanks guys! Good ideas.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.