Transmission hp/tq capability - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2003, 12:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Transmission hp/tq capability

Hey guys this is my first post on this forum but i have read some other stuff on here and i really like what you guys got going on. Anyway, enough brown-nosing here is my question:

So I am going ot be purchasing a 67 Nova real soon. I am now laying the ground work for it and have come to transmissions. Well the motor will be a built sbc with around 450-500 hp max. I am looking in to tranny's that can hold that much power with ease..so here is a list of trannies i am considering..can anyone tell me what would be my best bet? I would really like to have overdrive so i can cruise the highway easier but a 4 spd would suffice if it was safer..

Manual:

Muncie M21/22
Richmond T10 4 spd
Richmond 5 spd

Auto:

TH400
TCI StreetFighter

Thanks for any and all help!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 05:27 AM
speed freak

basically it all depends on how you use (abuse) the tranny. Not too sure about the autos, but a rebuilder once told me that once you cross the 450 hp threshold, you are in no mans land, and not too many reasonable priced manuals will hold together if abused. I know there are lots of people who will say I am crazy, that they are using BW T-10's, or M-21's and they do just fine, all I know is what I have been told. He said one of the newer autogear m-22's should be good up to maybe 550-650 hp, but abusing the tranny still can lead to parts failures. And I know the price tag on one of those m-22's may not be considered reasonable, like around $1500-$2000.
Seems like I remember reading in the summit catalog that the richmonds were rated around 400-450 hp, but you can check that out for yourself.

If you want OD, then maybe an auto is the way to go.
So........

the decision is yours, just have fun and good luck. I am sure others with more expertise will help you out here.
Just letting you know what I have been told.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:45 AM

if you are wanting an overdrive auto, 200 4R is probably your best bet. I've been told that they hold up with some modifications. I would look for performance rebuild kits or talk to a tranny shop about the modifications. 700r4 overdrives aren't bad, but don't handle the hp as well

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.